R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGas leak on New 192

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas leak on New 192
    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 4:14pm
We just bought a new 192 and can smell gas. Took to licensed service and they put a monitor on it and no leak or drop in pressure was detected. During the day the temp was around 55F. They had the pod for 6 hours. So I brought it home. Left gas on overnight temp dropped to around 20f. Next morning I smelled propane again. Detector did not go off though. Checked all the lines in the walls behind vacuum unit, on stove top and fridge. Used spray to see if bubbles happen. Nothing. Turned on furnace and let run. Temp warmed up propane smell went away. Left heater on overnight set to 65 degrees. Two mornings ago, we go out to camper no smell of propane. Camper smelled new. That’s how it was all day yesterday. Turned furnace off last night went out this morning, and it smelled like propane again. Forest River said take it back to dealership and they will sniff test it tomorrow morning. 

Anyone else had this mystery leak? Don’t want to sleep or camp in brand new Pod. Oh, the system is still winterized since we live above 7,000 feet and the weather is below freezing at night.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 4:46pm
Only other thing I can suggest is to exercise all the propane appliances to be sure the solenoid valves are all operational. Do the fridge and water heater, sounds like you've done all the rest.

If that and the dealer can't sniff it when you have it in then you could get your own sniffer for around $30. Next time you smell propane you could hunt for the leak yourself.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
WYRPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 5:21pm
I used my neighbors sniffer. The dealership said they won’t use one. They use a gauge that looks for leaks and hooks in on the stove. Measures gas water columns. I think it is in the furnace.  
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 6:31pm
I have had this happen when the propane tank was near empty on a couple occasions over the 10 years of owning a 177.  Problem was at the propane tank itself.  For some reason the gas would seep out of the vent on the tank itself.  Have gone through many tanks of propane over ten years and like already stated  - it only happened twice.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
WYRPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 4:20pm
So after taking it to the dealer twice (120 mile round trip) and them not doing saying it doesn’t leak, my neighbor and I found the issue. We could smell in the morning if it was cold at night and gas left on. We took the gas line connection to the furnace off and plugged it. Next morning, no smell. When we reconnected the line, my neighbor made sure to wiggle the line as he tightened and it seemed he had more line into the furnace connection. He also gave it an extra little tighten with a 10 inch wrench. No smell today. 
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 6:00pm
Interesting. Thanks for following up with the cause and fix.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
WYRPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 3:20pm
I also found out that when replacing a regulator, the factory setting of 11 wc is not necessarily what will what you get. I replaced my gas regulator as it was stuck on 15 water columns when we measured with a gauge. The adjustment screw did not change anything. I bought one off the rack and it said the factory setting was 11 water columns. Not true. It was 15 out of the box and if I unscrewed the adjustment valve all the way out then it was 11. So, I should have bought the 9 water column one that was on the shelf. I have now ordered a replacement that matches what Forest River installs on the 192. Challenging!
 Post Reply Post Reply