R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCity water inlet filling my fresh water tank?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: City water inlet filling my fresh water tank?
    Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 12:40am
Just got back from a rwo-night jaunt into the Santa Cruz mountains. I would have asked this question up there but cell service was almost non existant.

When I hooked up my hose to the city water connection on my 180 I noticed that later that evening I had water running out of my fresh water tank inlet. (The tank was only 3/4 full previously.)

I couldn't seem to keep the city water connection from backfilling the fresh water tank, so I disconnected the line and turned the pump switch back on and used the water pump for the rest of the trip to pump from the water tank.

I seem to remember having this issue before but can't remember how I solved it.

Also, when I got home and put the trailer away my power jack stopped working. I checked the inline fuse but it was good. I had to use the hand crank to unhitch the rPod from my truck. Did the jack die or is there an electrical malfunction?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 9:25am
You did the right thing with using the pump. Most of the time that seems to work okay for clearing the check valve. You may find that you are okay with using city water again.

As for the power jack, check the cleanliness and tightness of the nuts and bolts holding the jack to the tongue. If it grounds there, then you might not have a good ground which can cause this. If it has a separate ground wire, check the attachment for that as well as the power connection. That is the most likely scenario. Also, is there a breaker that may have tripped? If so, press and reset it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Old Man Running View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 6:43pm
I have a similar problem as indicated above but with an added issue.  When I power the water pump ON, the pump  begins to surge, but since none of the faucets are open the pump just continues to surge. Of course when your open a faucet the water will come out as usual.  There must be a check valve in the plumber network which prevents city water from being diverted into the fresh water tank, but not sure where this valve would be located.  Any thoughts?
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 7:52pm
There is a check valve at the city water inlet (remove the screen and you can see it). Other than that, there is a check valve in the pump that is supposed to keep the city water from going to the fresh water tank. Those are the only two in the fresh water system that I know of.

Are all your valves set? Is this something that happens all the time? Is there air in the system? Is there adequate water in the tank so that it isn't pulling air from there? I'm not sure if any of these questions will help you trace it down, but they might help. Also, check for any kinked hoses and that the filter screen in the little bowl at the pump is clean and that it is undamaged and tight.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 6:31am
Can you describe the pump sound in more detail? When you use the word "surge" what does that sound like? Is that different from the normal pump operating sound? Is it cycling on and off or continuous?

A slow leak or slightly open check or faucet valve will sound like normal pump operation but on a very low duty cycle, just a short pump sound at long intervals as it re-pressurizes the system that has slowly leaked down. If you have a major leak it will sound like it does when you open a faucet. If you have continuous pump operation like that the leak should be obvious and it won't be through the check valve between the tank and pump because the pump is pulling water through that valve in the normal direction
continuously.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply