Topic Closedchains

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: chains
    Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 6:46pm
Well we were saved by our safety chains and emergency brake on the pod. We were coming home from am few days out and was traveling about 45 mph as we had just cleared a rough railroad track and bang the trailer came off the hitch the chains held and brake went on just like they are to do. I looked the unit over and the only thing that happened was the jack got it's bottom ground down a bit. I was glad that i run my chains fairly tight. I had so sway bucking or any other problem stopping other than a lot of black smoke coming off the pod tires. So check your hookup real good before you take off.
Gerald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 6:55pm
Glad everythinhg worked out for you. I know myself I am paranoid of forgetting something with the hook up. Now that I have a weight distribution hitch there are even more connections to check. Even though I know I have checked everything I have pulled off the road to do a double check when my mind (or my wife) says "are you sure?"
2010 R-Pod 177 / 2009 GMC Canyon 4X4

Gerald, Lydia and The Boys (2 Shelties)......Canuck Podders
gepaine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 10:48pm
Do you know why the trailer came off the hitch?
Gene & Linda - 2007 Escalade - 24-Foot Keystone Cougar TT - Life is not just about gas mileage!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 10:58am

Even before I got a weight distribution hitch, I would always crank the tongue jack up after locking the hitch, to be sure it was secure in the ball socket.  Crank it up, and then sit/bounce on the rear bumper of my TV, then crank it back down.

If anyone doesn't know, you must crank the jack up after locking the hitch to engage the weight distribution hitch bars.  I didn't know this before I got mine.  So now my old habit serves a double purpose.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 8:40pm
The hitch was not all the way down on the ball. When we took it over to dealer for warranty work today i cranked the trailer back up to make sure it was hooked. I have pulled trailers for a long time but this is the first time it got me.
The dealer had to order parts for my slide out underneath there are 2 bushings that had broke i did not have a clue that anything was wrong with slide it worked great but dealer said he needed to order the parts and bring it back in 2 weeks to get install. He said it drooped and that is why it leaked when it rained by the fridge, also getting new LP regulator then set for trip south.
 Post Reply Post Reply