R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew 2021 196 HRE - Weak Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 2021 196 HRE - Weak Brakes
    Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:36am
Hello Podders !

2019 GMC Canyon with OEM brake controller and 2021 196 HRE with 'self adjusting brakes'.

We picked up our 196 HRE back in December and only towed it about 7km to our storage spot - we noticed the breaks were quite weak when we tested them in parking lot. The brakes would not stop the unit from idling forward on flat ground with break control fully manually engaged and gain turned to max.

Now that it is finally warm enough to de-winterize we had a chance to finally go over the unit with a fine toothed comb. We are not permitted to work on our unit at our storage spot so I pulled it around 40km round trip to a place I could.

Note - I have used my truck to pull other TTs and setting my controller to anything over 2 (out of 10) would stop the whole unit at an idle - I found that 3.5 to 4 was great for driving for any other TT I have pulled (all rentals of course).

The brakes are the same as the day we picked the unit up. Even after driving the 40km they feel about the same. I have done a bunch of Googling - I checked the drums backside and popped off the little dust caps to double check that there is no adjustment 'nut' - there is not. I have read posts saying that they take 200+kms to adjust properly. Also read posts that say most new shoes have a coating on them that needs to be worn off before they will really work well.

Just looking to hear if anybody has any different insight or experienced anything similar with 'self-adjusting breaks' - or if they is anything I should look at specifically for a fixable issue ?

TIA - Adrian

Edit - I know both sides are being activated - I had my wife manually operate the brake controller and could hear the actuator move when standing right next to the wheel at a stop.
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 9:04am
Interesting.  Our 195 had the same issue all last year (picked it up new 11/2019).  After last season (and about 10,000 miles) we dropped it off at the dealer for some work, including repacking the bearings and checking the brakes, among other things.  When we got it back (after two months...typical these days I guess) I tested the brakes and immediately noticed that they were much stronger...now able to stop the RAM from 5-10 mph pretty quickly.

FWIW...
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 9:05am
It's quite common to see what you are experiencing. My trailer brakes won't lock up the rig manually either, even at full controller voltage. As you say, weak brakes.

But mine will stop the rig. So suggest you perform the break in procedure, you can find it in this video.

I highly recommend getting an it thermometer as Lippert suggests, that way you can check that both brake drums are operating consistently. I also use mine to set the "boost" mode setting after descending a grade to obtain roughly similar braking action on the tow vehicle and trailer.

brake burnishing
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 9:17am
I wonder what the dealer did to cause my brakes to finally kick in.  Any guesses?
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 12:25pm
Just a possibility Pod Geek. We have had several instances reported of open wiring to the brake magnets. The press on displacement connectors FR uses are crap. Maybe one of your brakes wasn't functioning at all?

Other than that I've seen significant variation in the brake magnet's impedance on mine, meaning one magnet is taking a lot more current (and activating more aggressively) than the other. Or it could be glazing on the brake shoes, that's where the proper burnishing procedure comes in. Did the dealer replace anything?
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Xegavas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 8:14am
Thanks for the responses guys ! I will try the burnishing process on our trip out next weekend.

FYI - the link you put in your post doesn't work - but I was able to find the youtube video from Lippert anyway =)
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 9:40am
Link corrected. Big fat fingers on teeny weeny phone keyboard...
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Xegavas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 5:42pm
Update after our first trip out. I did the burnishing process and there is a marked improvement in the breaks. At slower speeds operating the controller manually will being the whole unit to a complete stop. Hit the nail on the head - thank you !
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 5:55pm
Glad to hear it worked for you.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 9:25pm
I have saved the brake burnishing link as I now have another job to carry out once we get our new trailer. A little less than a month remaining till our trailer comes off the line!

Thanks for the link, OG!

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>