Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDidn't have to camp but almost

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Didn't have to camp but almost
    Posted: 07 May 2021 at 10:25am
My wife and I went exploring up on Clemen Mountain west of Yakima, WA a couple days ago.  We took a direct but slow route from Ellensburg. Umptanum Road, through the Wenas, then a straight shot to the top. Involved a lot of stopping and reading the map to make sure we didn't get caught on a route that ended up closed.  Tricky in places, but we got there.

We ran across this old Jeep Station wagon on the Mill Canyon road near the top of Clemen Mountain. The first time I saw it was over 50 years ago in December, 1970. We were snowmobiling and found it with chains on all four wheels, stuck in the snow and abandoned on the Sanford pasture road on the south side of the ridge. That's about two miles by crow and five miles on a pretty steep rough road. It was a very nice rig with a winch and a Warn overdrive.

The next time I saw it I was up there in my jeep the next spring just after the snow had melted. It had been completely stripped. The only thing left was the body, frame, and steering column.  I am curious to know how it got to where it is now???

From here we headed over toward Bald Mountain. We went and went and went, plowing through patches of snow in the road.  Others had plowed through at some earlier time and we were able to use their tracks, and we had 4wd-- until we augured into one that high-centered us.

I tried using a come-a-long attached to a tree and my snatch-um strap but no luck.  The only option to get unstuck was to dig down under the truck to the dirt.  After digging for about an hour it was getting late and I figured we would be spending the night.

Then this couple in an old Toyota show up...and they have a winch.  I think it is only appropriate that my modern Toyota Tacoma was rescued by this vintage Toyota.

2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 11:16am
Originally posted by tcj

We ran across this old Jeep Station wagon on the Mill Canyon road near the top of Clemen Mountain. The first time I saw it was over 50 years ago in December, 1970.

That's cool that is a part of the landscape that you saw 50 years ago.  
But it's also not cool that it's sat there as an unnatural part of the landscape for 50 years ... and it's still there.

Originally posted by tcj

From here we headed over toward Bald Mountain. We went and went and went, plowing through patches of snow in the road.  Others had plowed through at some earlier time and we were able to use their tracks, and we had 4wd-- until we augured into one that high-centered us.

I thought you were towing your Pod thru the snow drifts until I saw the pics!

Great story!  I noticed SOMEone was taking pics while you did all the work!

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
tcj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 5:39pm
The old Jeep Station wagon is a fairly rare model. It's a two door with two vertical rear doors, not a fold down tail gate. It has wood protecting the floor behind the front seat. The orange paint is in surprisingly good shape after spending over 50 years on the mountain. I suspect it was elk hunters that got caught in an early snowstorm that fall.

2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 5:55pm
Looks ripe for a ground up restoration project.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply