R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBreakaway 171

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breakaway 171
    Posted: 12 May 2021 at 10:09am
I'm not 'buyin it'....

Not once did you see smoke coming from the wheels? Not once did the r-pod skid or scratch it's tires on loose gravel or dirt? During the entire 5 hour (approx) return trip, not ONCE did you smell overheating brakes? Not once did you notice the entire rig slowing down rapidly when you released the throttle approaching stop signs?(regen braking can be set to minimal, I'm assuming you did this) 

You can't drag these trailers with electric brakes for a couple hundred miles with the brakes fully or nearly fully applied without some bad stuff happening.

Now maybe...just maybe....the r-pod battery was so dead that only a couple of volts were being fed to the brakes for a little while...not enough to apply them fully....just enough to cause a wee bit of drag...could be that happened. Maybe. But you still should have been able to smell overheating brakes and/or see some smoke from the wheels.

I fall back on this: What a POS that any all-electric vehicle is for towing in the real world.

Sorry...call em like I see em.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 11:01am
From what is being described both things are likely true.

The brakes were engaged and disengaged when the pin was replaced, as they should.

The brakes obviously weren't working properly, at most dragging a bit, we don't know how long that had been going on or the status of the battery providing current to them.

We also know that the Tesla Y is going to have a max range of at most around 100 miles towing an rpod at highway speeds. 75 kwh battery, about 700 wh/mile towing has been reported numerous times by owners.

So once the brakes and bearings are fixed and the rig and brake controller set up correctly I'm looking forward to hearing what the results are.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 11:25am
What I'm sayin that I'm not buying is: that dragging brakes is the reason for VERY short towing range with the Tesla. 

The rest of it yeah....stuff happens.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 12:17pm
Very short range depends on what the expectations are. No one should be expecting more than around 100 miles at best.

Nvan 171 is saying he's using 3.5 to 4x the energy he would be not towing. That's on the high side of what's being reported and we all know speed matters a lot. So it could be that the brakes aren't dragging at all or they could be bringing the range down somewhat. We'll have to wait and see.

I do give Nvan 171 lots of credit for trying. AFAIK this is the first time an EV tow of an rpod has been reported on this forum. I'm sure it won't be the last. Nvan 171, please keep us posted.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Nvan 171 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 10:15am
Well aren’t you just a ray of sunshine. Thought these forums were for constructive conversations.
Nvan 171 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 10:23am
Thank you all for your input. (Except the one ass).

Brakes and bearings were serviced. Nothing destroyed. Brakes needed to be adjusted. Tried towing again locally to see how the range was. Still over 500W. Slightly better but not enough to do a long trip. Was worth testing out. We have an alternate vehicle made for towing and will be using this moving forward. Might still use the Tesla for weekend get-a-ways.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 11:25am
Thanks for reporting back. Glad things are getting sorted.

Actually 500w is very good. That's encouraging. What were the conditions (speed, wind speed and direction, climbing or descending hills, or flat ground)?

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 11:42am
The Fast Lane Truck has done a number of tests towing with an EV. At present it's not pretty. Here is just one of several looks at what they've learned.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12