R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBreakaway 171

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breakaway 171
    Posted: 11 May 2021 at 10:56am
Hi Everyone!
Recently purchased a 2013 171. I towed the Pod home from the previous Owner with no problems. Being new to trailers, I watched the previous Owner hook up the trailer to my vehicle. Only after I got home did I realize that there was no breakaway hooked to the vehicle. So I took a closer look. There is no plug in the break away! Looking under the Pod and following the wires, it definitely doesn't look right. The wheels do obviously turn as I had no problems towing. 

I'm trying to find a photo of how the wiring should look. Wondering if someone could share a couple photos of the wiring (or provide a resource link).

Side note: There definitely is a power drain as well. Wondering if the brake system is electrified. (I'll worry about this after!)

Thank you.  

NorthVan Pod Owner!  
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 11:08am
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 11:17am
Sounds like maybe the breakaway plug got pulled out and someone dragged the trailer with the brakes engaged. Are the drums hot after you tow? Do they stop the rig when you manually engage your brake controller?

Either way I'd suggest pulling the wheels and doing a brake inspection. You have an older trailer so it needs to be done anyway. Repack the bearings while you're in there.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Nvan 171 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 11:42am
Thanks Marwayne!  Would you be able to post a picture of where those wires go to? (under the trailer).  It's this part that doesn't look right. If I'm tracing the wires correctly, they both connect to the same terminal..... that can't be right!

offgrid: the wheel seems to turn freely BUT I do have an appointment to have the breaks etc looked at. 

Thank you both!  
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 1:54pm
When you pull out the little pug it will activate the brakes when your trailer gets disconnected while driving. There is a cable that is attached to the plug the other side of the cable is attached to the TV just a little tighter then the brake away chains.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by offgrid

Sounds like maybe the breakaway plug got pulled out and someone dragged the trailer with the brakes engaged....

That can't be a good thing.  Wonder how far the OP towed the unit home.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
Nvan 171 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 7:45pm
Sooooo problem solved.  Backstory.... I think you'll all like.

Drove 5 hours to purchase this Pod. Used my Tesla Y. Why not... I was on a road system that had the super chargers.  

Shortly into the way home I saw the 'Gas' dropping like crazy. Doing the math in my head.... I was going through 3.5 to 4 times the power I would without towing.  Thinking to myself..... what a piece of garbage car. Plus then realized.... there is no way I'm going to make it to the next charge station. Had to drop the trailer and drive, fingers crossed that I'd make it. Still had 20km to go when the car hit "0%" I know it had a reserve but 20km and a big hill right at the end where the charger is? Coasted into a VW dealer right near the end to top up for a fee minutes. Lucky I did. I wouldn't have made it. Anyway full charge, then back to get the trailer, back to the same charger to top up and on my way home. Had to stop at EVERY super charger along the way.  Again, all the way thinking what a pile of garbage vehicle.

Fast forward to today. With your input etc, I had a new breakaway controller in my hand, ready to install. I decided to try the pin first. As soon as I put it in I heard the whole trailer release.....  Got my neighbour out to listen as i tried with and without the pin. Yup. Brakes were ON the entire 5 hour journey home. Not enough to lock them up fully.  Just enough to cause me a near heart attack. 

I take back all the #%$ I said about the towing capabilities. HA HA. 

Got an appointment for tomorrow to get the brakes redone!       
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 7:57am
Wow interesting story. And an interesting tow vehicle. Just a dumb question, you do have a brake controller in the Tesla, right?

Many (most?) Of us find the rpod brakes will not lock up the wheels even with full brake controller output. But they should stop the rig from 15-20 mph in a flat parking lot without using the tow vehicle brakes

If they were dragging for hours the shoes should be replaced and the drums turned or replaced. The bearings most likely overheated too. You can get full kits (brake assemblies, drums, and bearings) and just replace everything from the axle out. That's what I did. Not very expensive and less labor. Also. If the pin is pulled the brakes will draw current from the rpod battery so check the status of that as well.

Once you get things working correctly it would be interesting to hear how much range you're getting with your Tesla towing the rpod.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 8:15am
Originally posted by offgrid

...Once you get things working correctly it would be interesting to hear how much range you're getting with your Tesla towing the rpod.

From a towing test of the Y with a 3000 lb trailer:

700 Wh/mile at 65 mph, 103 miles of range
938 Wh/mile at 70 mph, 76 miles of range

https://insideevs.com/news/454286/video-tesla-model-y-tow-travel-trailer/

Another interesting take:

https://insideevs.com/news/487873/video-tesla-model-y-why-not-to-tow/

My take:  Hope there are a lot of charging stations along whatever route one decides to take towing with a Y...
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Pod_Geek

My take:  Hope there are a lot of charging stations along whatever route one decides to take towing with a Y...

And you're not in any big hurry ...

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>