R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedcharging // batteries

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: charging // batteries
    Posted: 12 May 2021 at 10:02am

I have 2021 rpod196 with a single solar panel on the roof. I have purchased a renogy 200 watt portable system with 20 amp controller. I have attached a pos and neg line to my parallel batteries which sticks outside the battery box and plan to attach the solar systems alligator clips to the lines to add additional charging capacity when off the grid. Is there any problem with compromising the existing onboard system in doing this?  
    Also if I wanted to attach a battery charger running off a generator to these outside lines could this mess with the existing onboard system. I was thinking that i could turn the battery disconnect switch which is outside the camper off before doing this but not sure if this matters? I know that I can connect the generator to the camper and this will also send a charge to the batteries but thought since I already have these outside lines perhaps it would be more efficient to go directly to the batteries this way? Also the charger has a boost feature which might speed things up if used rarely and sparingly. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help . Hunter
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 12:13pm
One can get a little complicated.  If you hook the gen up to the 110v power plug you can charge the battery with the on board charger with out affecting the roof solar panels.  The would be the simplest way.

I am a little wary of alligator clips and inadvertent short circuits.  Quick charge on batteries is not a long term solution.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 12:26pm
For safety please do add an inline of bolt on fuse in the positive lead from the battery. The fuse should be sized for the wire gauge you are running to the solar controller, 20A for 12 gauge, 30A for 10 gauge.

You won't mess anything up connecting the solar charge controller to the battery. As for the generator, just connect it to the rpod normally, there won't be a significant efficiency difference using the on board charger. The inboard charger has a "boost" or "bulk" charge mode also.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Hunter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 2:49pm
  Thanks for the input I thought I was ok but just wanted to check. The renology system has a 20 amp fuse on the pos lead. Can I use the solar and the generator at the same time? I guess it is already doing this with the solar controler that the camper came with when I am on shore power or generator power. 
Hunter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 2:55pm

The portable solar system comes with a controller, fuse , and the alligator clips to hook into the batteries on the outside of the camper. I just added the pos and neg leads to make it easier to attach the solar when I am using it. I guess I will just use the generator to charge with the charger that came with the camper for when I am directly hooked up to shore power or the  generator. Thanks for your input.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 3:11pm
Be careful with your added pos lead. Just like in your house where the circuit breakers are the first thing in line between your circuits and the utility, your fuse should be right at the current source (battery in this case) if possible. If the fuse is downstream from the source it doesn't protect anything between it and the source, so if you accidentally short your pos lead to the rpod frame you will find out where they hid the smoke. If it was me I'd remove that or relocate the fuse at the battery.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply