Some stats for nerds...

Last 12 hours

Ping Success:  Average 99%  •  Last 100%

No Satellites: 42 seconds
Other outages: 7 minutes **
Obstructions: 0

Latency: Min 23 ms  •  Max 54 ms  • Last 46 ms

** Generally described as Beta Downtime - software/firmware updates, etc

Currently there are 1675 satellites launched of which 915 are on station.

Just for fun:  https://starlink.sx

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
podwerkz View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 3:01pm
More stats....

Just for grins, I ran speed tests on the same computer but logged onto my AT&T hotspot, then logged onto my T-Mobile phone in tethering mode...

Not as fast as starlink....but about $20 for AT&T and about $30 for my T-Mobile plan....and not too shabby on the speeds....in fact, better than the old DSL and U-verse plans I had at my previous sticks and bricks...

So I'm in no hurry...as of yet...

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 3:09pm
Just today we are getting ready for another round of storms....we have had several days of evening severe weather....life out here in the sticks....

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 3:25pm
Wow, podwekz. That's great. Where do you get a $20 data plan from AT&T? Can you hotspot with it? Data cap? I've never seen such a deal?

Thanks!

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 5:54pm
Fwunder, you might also want to look at Google fi. VMNO on tmob and us cellular. Has some interesting plan options.

My understanding is that failover doesn't work because you lose the call. 7 minutes of outages would be bad for my wife, especially if it was multiple short dropouts. What I need for my wife if I get starlink and have a 2nd service would be channel bonding I think. Podwerkz, you might want to look into that as well.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 6:24pm
I have looked at Google fi for my RV WiFi and local mobile WiFi. T-Mobile got no signal - zip - where I am. 

In meantime Visible has just gotten better. I got a Gl iNet 750M to play with in addition to my Mango. The latest firmware has made a huge difference in crazy easy lan network setup w/tethering and one little line of code to adjust TTL ( basically bypass 5 Mbps cap on tethering ) and the Visible hotspot has become a really viable connection.

Because I have referred two customers to Visible in the last two months, I have been paying $5.00/mt for unlimited, non-capped data. Can't beat that! My normal rate is $25/mt. Last week, while in Trap Pond State Park I was really surprised how well my camp WiFi (FredNet) was working. Had no problem with Google YouTubeTV via Visible and Chromecast, but could barely get a signal with my AT&T phone.

We have gotten off the track of Starlink.

Hard to say when those 7 minutes of down time was. Could have been at 4 AM doing a firmware update - beta mystery. As Musk has already said they plan on offering phone service with Starlink, I don't think dropouts will be an issue in the near future.

Like I have said several times, it may not be the perfect answer for everyone. It is, howeve, very well executed technology that, heretofore, no-one else has been able to match. Kind of like landing 80+ booster rockets on a floating barges and re-using them to fly again. I personally don't like the guy, but his organizations are pulling off some pretty incredible engineering.

f

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 6:55pm
Zero Verizon signal here so Visible won't work. I just got a voice/text plus pay as you go data plan from Google fi. Very reasonable.

We make VOIP calls only at home anyway so practically use no mobile data as we're not travelling right now. I was pleased to find I do get a decent us cellular signal from some of our property so that's good. At the house it's only around -110db. I might connect up the weboost from the rpod and see if that helps.

I ran the cute little starlink survey app and it seems to want pretty much a north facing exposure here. No problem. So I ordered it, we'll see.

I don't like the guy either, I've seen his solar company's (now part of Tesla) business and employee practices in action. But then I don't care for any other billionaires either and I buy their products....
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by fwunder

Wow, podwekz. That's great. Where do you get a $20 data plan from AT&T? Can you hotspot with it? Data cap? I've never seen such a deal?

Thanks!

I'm grandfathered in on the $20/mo Mobley Connected Car (kinda unlimited) data plan from 2017....they let me keep it and I have no plans to let it go anytime soon. It's a hotspot so yes, I can hotspot with it.

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by offgrid

I ran the cute little starlink survey app and it seems to want pretty much a north facing exposure here. No problem. So I ordered it, we'll see.

Did you use my referral code??!! LOL

Just kidding.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by podwerkz

I'm grandfathered in on the $20/mo Mobley Connected Car (kinda unlimited) data plan from 2017....they let me keep it and I have no plans to let it go anytime soon. It's a hotspot so yes, I can hotspot with it.

That's insanely cheap for ATT if it's truly unthrottled data. I have an old Mobile Share plan with ATT. Two phones share 6GB for $40.00. They claim it's unlimited by throttling anything over 6GB to 128K. Basically unusable beyond 6GB. I can burn through 6GB in a weekend no problem.

We just use the Visible hotspot tethered to Gl Slate while traveling or at campsite....until I can stick that dish on top of the Pod. Wink

f

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>