Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStarlink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starlink
    Posted: 17 May 2021 at 8:12pm
Starlink order acknowledgement says coverage in my area is scheduled for mid to late 2021. Saw a map today indicating a big belt of poor coverage currently extending up from FL through Appalachia. Looks like I'll be making an interest free loan of $100 to Elon for awhile. I'm sure he needs the money more than I do.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by fwunder

That's insanely cheap for ATT if it's truly unthrottled data.

Truly unthrottled data? Does anyone have that anywhere with ANY carrier? I doubt it.

What this does is more or less unlimited, except, like always, it's 'limited'....but again, it's ONLY $20 per month.

I get 22gb per month at high speed when on-AT&T network, nothing when I'm not. They can throttle it back after 22gb IF the tower is 'busy' or congested...whatever that means....but it has never happened in 4 years and I often blow way past the 22GB monthly data allotment.

At any rate, it works for me, for now.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 8:48am
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 10:30am
Just FYI, Starlink is not intended for urban areas. I haven't seen them state it explicitly, but I remember reading somewhere that the system is not designed for heavy concentrations of subscribers. This system is meant for the 5% to 10% of people that are too far out of the urban area to get affordable broadband. It's the last mile problem.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 10:58am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

Just FYI, Starlink is not intended for urban areas. I haven't seen them state it explicitly, but I remember reading somewhere that the system is not designed for heavy concentrations of subscribers. This system is meant for the 5% to 10% of people that are too far out of the urban area to get affordable broadband. It's the last mile problem.

I would agree except for the fact that the dish design is somewhat vulnerable to the conditions typically found around the homes of those 5 to 10% of people out here in the boonies: Strong winds, hail, debris blowing around, lawnmowers, tractors, cattle, goats, chickens, kids, yada yada yada....

I WILL be impressed when they sell a robust solution actually suited for life 'out here'....

Dishy McFlatface DOES look good sitting there on a well-manicured suburban lawn or perched on a purple plastic table on a cute little balcony next to potted flowers and a colorful hanging 'dream catcher'.....I will give you that.

Miss soccer mommy can simply carry Mr Dishy inside when her wind chimes start to sing...

Wink

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 12:33pm

Think globally. Starlink and other constellation systems like OneWeb or Amazon's Kuiper are not designed *just* for US customers. Although ground stations are currently being used to beam backbone data to satellites, soon they will be transferring huge amounts of data between satellites via laser. Then it becomes a truly global system reaching far corners. No, it is not an urban solution where fiber is already available, but consider the 100's of millions of people worldwide who do not and will not have access to the internet via terrestrial systems.

f

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 11:26am

Think globally. Starlink and other constellation systems like OneWeb or Amazon's Kuiper are not designed *just* for US customers. Although ground stations are currently being used to beam backbone data to satellites, soon they will be transferring huge amounts of data between satellites via laser. Then it becomes a truly global system reaching far corners. No, it is not an urban solution where fiber is already available, but consider the 100's of millions of people worldwide who do not and will not have access to the internet via terrestrial systems.

f

+1 

I don't know about Kuiper and OneWeb, but Starlink also has the "capability" to provide service to areas where there isn't a ground station. 

This  means that Starlink can connect a dish to the actual internet instead of the state-controlled internet (e.g. China and Russia). I know for a fact that Russia has passed legislation that makes owning a Starlink dish illegal. It probably has Chinese bureaucrats working overtime. 

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 11:39am
The problem I think is going to be once starlink and it's competitors fill LEO up with anywhere near the proposed 100,000 or so 600lb satellites it will become a death zone. And terrestrial astronomy will be a memory. But money talks so it's gonna happen.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by offgrid

The problem I think is going to be once starlink and it's competitors fill LEO up with anywhere near the proposed 100,000 or so 600lb satellites it will become a death zone. And terrestrial astronomy will be a memory. But money talks so it's gonna happen.

I'm not a rocket scientist even though my wife says I'm spacie.

I'm conflicted on the space pollution issue. Space is a big place and even 100K kitchen table size satellites just doesn't seem that dense to me. I have read that SpaceX is working closely with astronomers to try to minimize issues. Relative to the 350,000+ cell towers in the US alone and 5G nodes popping up on every street corner in urban settings, it kinda gives the satellite density issue some perspective.

Fortunately all new LEO satellites are maneuverable and can be safely de-orbited or will naturally decay to disposable orbit. Unlike the monster space junk China has been hurling. 

So is the Lightning F150 gonna carry a gas generator disguised as a toolbox in the bed to keep the battery charged? If it does, does it become a hybrid? Confused

f
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 4:56pm

Relative to the 350,000+ cell towers in the US alone and 5G nodes popping up on every street corner in urban settings, it kinda gives the satellite density issue some perspective.

Yeah but those pieces of hardware are not moving at 18,000 miles per hour relative to nearby people in vehicles.

Tongue

BTW we are getting a LOT of severe weather here again...its making the news...again...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>