FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStarlink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starlink
    Posted: 19 May 2021 at 6:18pm
Have you seen Gravity?

SpaceX propaganda says they are “working with astronomers” but the astronomers don’t appear to be at all satisfied. There so called dark satellites aren’t.

Astronomers take on startling

It’s not gonna matter though. As usual, the process will follow the golden rule. As in, he who has the gold makes the rules. And ole’ Elon has a LOT of gold.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by offgrid

Have you seen Gravity?

SpaceX propaganda says they are “working with astronomers” but the astronomers don’t appear to be at all satisfied. There so called dark satellites aren’t.

Astronomers take on startling

It’s not gonna matter though. As usual, the process will follow the golden rule. As in, he who has the gold makes the rules. And ole’ Elon has a LOT of gold.

Ha! I did see Gravity. Still, a much safer place than an Indonesian submarine! Wink

Why not have orbiting or geostationary telescopes that anyone could tap into? Seems kinda quaint and selfish to have ground based telescopes these days vs. giving the world affordable and accessible internet access. That should push some buttons.

Look, I'm half kidding there. I was hoping this would be a discussion on how well the system performs and it's technical potential. Why did it turn into such an adversarial debate?

Oh, and BTW, has there actually been a collision I am unaware of? Not reported near collision. I mean real collision? Just curious.

f

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 6:18am
I'm not being adversarial. I've
actually signed up for Starlink. I've been thinking about it for awhile and your post convinced me to proceed.

I just know from experience how Musk operates (and most all of the other billionaires too). They have enormous egos and always think that what they think is best for them is best for the entire world too. Nothing new about that.

Yep, there sure has been a collision. See below.

The same "big sky" argument used to be made about IFR flight until there were a couple infamous collisions back in the 50s. That's when the modern ATC system was developed.

All it takes is enough density of flights in an area for long enough and there you have it. As of Sept 2019 there were around 2200 sats in LEO. Elon alone has more than doubled that since then.

Also I would tend to be at least as worried about deliberate destruction of these sats as accidental collisions. As others have said, certain governments, a couple of which are very space capable, don't like this at all. Once you create a bunch of debris where these things are operating it's likely to be a self sustaining chain reaction.

Could the Starlink sats' ion thrusters move the sats to avoid a collision with an object with a known trajectory. Sure, given enough time. But the thrusters have very low acceleration rates, estimates are around 2 m/s per hour of operation, with a total delta v of around 200 m/s. 2 m/s is about 4.5 mph so it takes a Starlink sat an hour to change its velocity equivalent to that of a fast walk. An aggressor with conventional chemical thrusters could "accidentally" make that change in a fraction of a second. Or just take a couple out while testing a laser. Oops!

I really think that ground based wireless internet would be a better solution for most rural areas. I've had that system and it's very stable. And secure from attack by other countries. It's just not commercially viable in lots of places because there aren't enough customers. There is a simple solution to that, subsidize it. That's how rural electrification was done in the 1930s. Talk about life changing.

Now that I'm thinking about it I think I'll keep my DSL as backup to Starlink.

lsat collision
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 8:11am
Interesting read! Thanks.

BTW, they told us mid to late 2021 for the Starlink package. It arrived about two weeks after order.

Looking forward to your impressions.

f
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 8:27am
From what I read they're moving north to south and are around latitude 38 now. That would take them down to around Charlottesville so maybe another degree or so for me.

I didn't understand the map I saw on Reddit where there was a dead zone extending up through the Appalachians though. Maybe lack of base stations? Typical for Appalachia to be left behind if true. It will happen when it happens.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 9:10am
This seems to be a good time to throw something fun (my definition as I like looking at stars at night and the satellites that are whizzing over us).

I use an app called

"See a Satellite Tonight".

It is provided by Cesium and it will need to use your location to show you not only the timings for several nights in advance when satellites, the identifier and the number of satellites that are passing by, but also where in the night sky to look.

We love watching the ISS and now the Starlink constellation of satellites as well as many others. You get to recognize their identifiers after awhile. The first time you see a lot of them going by in a row is pretty impressive.

They are up there to stay, might as well enjoy it. A dark clear sky is needed, of course.

Andy

Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 10:51am
Originally posted by offgrid

I really think that ground based wireless internet would be a better solution for most rural areas. I've had that system and it's very stable. And secure from attack by other countries. It's just not commercially viable in lots of places because there aren't enough customers. There is a simple solution to that, subsidize it. That's how rural electrification was done in the 1930s. Talk about life changing.

Now that I'm thinking about it I think I'll keep my DSL as backup to Starlink.

lsat collision

I've been in the fixed wireless broadband business since 2004, and there are significant issues for this to be a reality. Out here, terrain and trees (you know those 300-foot-tall ones?) are a major obstacle to making it work. That and getting leases on places where you can place a POP (Point of Presence for those not familiar with the lingo). The last couple of years we have transitioned to a hybrid model where it's possible. We use a very high capacity PTP link, then run fiber around the neighborhood. We've made this work in a couple of places where the terrain and trees made it impossible to do wireless anything. 
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 12:06pm
I'm not disagreeing GG just know that in this area it's not as steep, the trees aren't as tall, and the NIMBY is much less than in ultra wealthy coastal CA. Fixed wireless would work for a lot of folks, me for one, but not all. But it's just too sparse to be economic. There is a place for sat internet certainly.

Personally, I'd take fixed wireless over dishy mcflatface in a heartbeat.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234