R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsidewall demaination

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: sidewall demaination
    Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 7:19am
I think the epoxy is holding fine.....it is difficult to get the clamping precise.  I am a perfectionist so what I am saying the repair isn't perfect but I would say about 90%.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 10:16pm
If you're having problems getting the MAX-GPE resin to bond to luan, you may want to give West Systems Epoxy folks a call to see what they would suggest.  They are famous for bonding wood laminations for beautifully crafted laminated wood boats.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 3:20pm
I have a 2017 r189 that is having similar delaminations.....absolutely a factory screw up.  I built a frame for clamping and am using MAX GPE -General Purpose Grade Epoxy Resin System it was $83 for 3/4 gal.  I'd like to say it is working perfectly but it isn't.....I have never seen fiberglass stay bonded to luan.  I have injected epoxy and used a veneer roller to try to spread it.  Then clamped it....it fixes alot but there is still bubbling.  I think my repair will hold but it aint perfect.
dcool1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 2:49pm
Has anyone else used products other than Stabond to to adhere filon. I need one product to glue the plywood to the foam and another for the filon to plywood. Both are about $225 per gallon. All to do approx 24 square feet. There's got to be something else. 
2021 RAM 1500 TRX 4x4
2019 TOYOTA RAV4 AWD
2017 RPOD 180
2003 TOYOTA TACOMA 4x4
Dan & Marie
dcool1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 4:11pm
looks like its built like a boat. no delaming, easy to patch, etc. i like it

2021 RAM 1500 TRX 4x4
2019 TOYOTA RAV4 AWD
2017 RPOD 180
2003 TOYOTA TACOMA 4x4
Dan & Marie
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 3:51pm
My next RV:  https://olivertraveltrailers.com

Fiberglass done right.

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
dcool1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 3:37pm
Hi All,

We met with a few people who do RV body work. $15k to replace the whole side of our 180. We pulled a window out and looked down into the delam area, no water damage. The filon is just falling off the plywood. You can see bubbles all over the wall from the middle of the windows down. Its definitely a factory defect, but FR wants nothing to do with it. Thought about hiring an attorney, but we'd probably just be throwing good money after bad. FR probably has an army of attorneys fending off this sort of stuff.  We've decided to cut out a section from mid window to the top of the storage compartments and replace it with new filon. Then add a flat trim seam at top and bottom of that new piece. Trying to pull it back and adhere again or add epoxy, etc would not be easy, so we made this choice. Hopefully it looks ok. I removed all of the decals on the opposite side this past weekend. We're going to add a brown vinyl piece down that side too to try to make it look the same. ??? We'll see how that works out. What a freaking nightmare this RV has turned out to be. I will NEVER buy another fiberglass RV. Who would design such a thing that is so hard to work on. Live and learn. 

2021 RAM 1500 TRX 4x4
2019 TOYOTA RAV4 AWD
2017 RPOD 180
2003 TOYOTA TACOMA 4x4
Dan & Marie
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 6:53pm
If the fiberglass is still attached to most of the area then the adhesive is still good there. Can you lift the fiberglass a bit so it dries out in there and then drill a some small holes, inject some adhesive and press and hold the fiberglass down until the adhesive cures?

If you do have to remove the whole wall, why not replace it with a new layer of flat fiberglass rather than a corrugated surface which will be harder to trim out around the edges?
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
dcool1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 2:19pm
Yes, I really think something wasn't right from the factory on ours. There is no evidence of a hole, crack, etc at the window seal. The bubbling didn't start at the window, its started about a foot below the window and slowly got bigger and bigger, so it has to be some sort of failure with the adhesive. All along the wide pin strip decal area is loose now too, which is no where near an opening. Nothing we can do now but take the financial hit and fix it. I do appreciate any advise y'all have with the corrugated alum covering. 
2021 RAM 1500 TRX 4x4
2019 TOYOTA RAV4 AWD
2017 RPOD 180
2003 TOYOTA TACOMA 4x4
Dan & Marie
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 1:30pm
Having been an owner of a 177 for 10 years now I will be the first to admit that outside of using some MeGuiar's ultimate wax on the window seals (1x/year) I have done no 'maintenance' to the seals or have I ever used caulk around them either.  And . . . . no leaks . . . . no issues.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>