R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLoose wires under Rpod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loose wires under Rpod
    Posted: 19 May 2021 at 9:16pm
Just picked up our new to us 2018 179. On inspecting under the trailer, I see. groups of little wires and connectors hanging down under the trailer in various places. Nothing there to protect them and they seem far too exposed. What have you folks done to ensure that they stay put? Someone on another forum said we needed to remove the connectors and have all the wires soldered, etc. Is that really what we have to do before we can tow this thing home? 
LTheo
2018 179
2014 Toyota Tundra
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 6:35am
There are two types of wire splices your probably seeing under there. One is made up of small gauge wires which go to your tank level sensors. Don't worry about those, not critical and the sensors don't work well anyway.

The other ones are on the heavier wires going to your electric brake magnets. So those are part of a critical safety system and are probably the ones you read about people soldering. The connectors there are crummy "insulation displacement" connectors, at least on mine. I've changed them out for butt splices with adhesive lined outdoor rated heat shrink over them. I'd recommend you do the same it solder them if you have those crummy connectors on yours. There are only 3 or 4 of them IIRC.

That being said, you don't need to do that before you pick up your trailer. Do be sure before heading out that your brake controller is set up right and your trailer brakes can stop the rig (using the manual slide control) from 10-15 mph on flat ground. If they can do that then you're good to go. Make the new splices after you get home at your convenience.

Have fun!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply