FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRPOF Get together

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RPOF Get together
    Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 6:18am
I am going to throw an idea out just to see if anyone is interested.  However, I can't take credit for it as (if memory serves) it was actually put forth by another member (maybe Mary and Don) before the ERU was conceived - but the idea didn't seem to generate a lot of interest, at the time.

The idea was to have a "get together" some place in northern Indiana (center of the RV universe) and (as part of the festivities) arrange a tour of the Rpod/FR factory - to see just how the Pods are made and interact (hopefully) with some FR people.  There are also suppliers to the RV industry in the area (as one might expect) and maybe they could be contacted also, if there is sufficient interest. 

Of course, this would be after winter and I'm thinking May or June - before it gets too hot.  But what are your feelings?  I am willing to do a certain amount of the "leg work" in checking out campgrounds, etc., but would need to see if the Mods could use their influence to make arrangements with FR.

While it's several months away, it would be well to start planning now for next year's trips.  The location might work out well for our Canadian friends.  The Indiana DNR will accept reservations up to 6 months in advance so, if we want May, we could start reserving in December.  Maybe I could persuade them to hold a "block" of sites for us?
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 12:30pm
It sounds like a great idea, David!  I'd love an owner's get-together and to meet some of the faces we didn't get to see in Kentucky last year.  I'd also like to have a tour of the factory floor.

Late May would be best for us.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 1:45pm
Thanks for the input OB.  I was sort of thinking Memorial Day weekend, but there are pros and cons.
Pro - It is a long weekend for many of us anyway and maybe a few might be going to the Indy 500.
Con - It is a holiday weekend and sites fill fast.  Also, I was thinking a Saturday morning tour would be nice (all depending on what FR will agree to, as it is likely a holiday for them, also).  So, a lot depends on what, if anything FR will do.

There are two State parks reasonably close to the Elkhart area: Potato Creek and Chain of Lakes

I'll check KOAs...but only at gunpoint! LOL
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by David

I'll check KOAs...but only at gunpoint! LOL

I think that there are very different needs for campsites for a rally vs campsites for a getaway.  For a rally, sites that are close together with very few trees or underbrush and with mown lawns are appealing; for once, you want to be elbow to elbow with your neighbours.  You also want to be close to amenities like pools and playgrounds and mini putts.

I believe that Mary and Don had long ago recommended the Shipshewana South Campground for the rally, and I think it fits the bill.  They seem to be setup for large groups and even have pavillions available.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 4:50am
I think you should change your name to SUPER Outbound, as you have saved the day once again!  I remembered they mentioned a facility and thought highly of it, but could not remember what/where it was...other than it was real close to the FR factory.  It looks fine to me and it sounds like they would be happy to work with a group. 

Well folks, it's up to you.  Do you want to do it?  Prefer a particular date?  What say ye?

Mary and Don View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 2:20pm
Just a word of caution, FR will not guarantee that R-Pods will be in production at any certain time.  When we planned the Maumee Bay mini rally, we set up a time for a tour which they cancelled due to volume of Surveyor orders.  The factory manufacturers both models.  They will post a schedule, but may change based on needs.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 7:08am
Originally posted by Mary and Don

Just a word of caution, FR will not guarantee that R-Pods will be in production at any certain time.  When we planned the Maumee Bay mini rally, we set up a time for a tour which they cancelled due to volume of Surveyor orders.  The factory manufacturers both models.  They will post a schedule, but may change based on needs.

Thanks for jumping in! (I was hoping you would).  I'm not sure the idea is going anywhere, but I thought your idea of a get together & tour was a good one and worth another try.  (I was unaware of the Maumee rally)

Understand about the Pod/Surveyor.  It may not even be possible.  I'm just throwing an idea out to guage interest.  And, if so, dates, place, etc.  If the idea does "gain traction" I hope you'll jump in with your experience. 
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 5:12pm
Surveyor or r-pod on the line, I'd still like to see the factory.  And even if the line has switched to Surveyor, I'm sure that Forest River can speak to us about r-pods.

As far as long weekends, Memorial Day is May 30th (n.b.: Canadians, Victoria Day is May 23rd).  Ask Forest River what they'd like - a Friday afternoon tour just before a long weekend shutdown may be right up their alley.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 5:15pm
Please...the response has become so overwhelming, it has quickly surpassed my ability to deal with it!  I can't stand this much stress Star!

So, here is another idea, that might be easier (yea, right) to manage:

How about a "touring rally"?  In looking at the membership map, we have members scattered all over the place.  This means, no matter where we go, it will not be convenient for a number of members.  A touring rally will connect with the most members, but probably not all at the same time, as members can join in and leave as they wish.

One broad idea would be to have our Canadian friends head South.  Then we would drive East towards Northern Appalachia.  Then head South towards NC, SC, GA (or the Western side of the mountains).  From there head West.

This might be a cool thing to do, but would require a certain amount of planning and willing members in the areas of the "stops" to scope out  a good place to spend a night or two.  You can come only to your nearby area, one or two "legs" of the tour, or for the super hearty - do the whole "tour" and win the "Iron-Podder" award.

Just another idea.     
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 7:18am
[QUOTE=Outbound]Surveyor or r-pod on the line, I'd still like to see the factory.  And even if the line has switched to Surveyor, I'm sure that Forest River can speak to us about r-pods.

Sorry for bumping your post so fast OB.  It looks like we were both at the keyboard at the same time.

I agree with the above.  Also, as best as I can tell, the Surveyor is pretty much a Pod in traditional TT shape.  Same materials, etc.  Even if they are not constructing Pods, it would still be a good tour.  If enough want to do it, perhaps they would be willing to have one of the designers, engineers on hand to answer questions, tell us want they are working on for the future, etc. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>