R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRPod Electric Awning Fell Off

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RPod Electric Awning Fell Off
    Posted: 21 May 2021 at 11:59am
While de-winterizing my 2020 RPod 190 last week, I extended my awning to clean, and the whole assembly fell off, ripping the motor and LEDs off.  Luckily, no one was hurt.  It came crashing down breaking the end cap, and who knows what else.  I contacted the dealer, but they won't be able to look at it until end of June.

I didn't know that this was an issue, and I'm certainly now adding to my checklist to check that its secure.  Thank goodness it didn't happen while I was towing it.  Once the dealer fixes it, I will ask them to show me what to look for to insure it's firmly attached and I'll post their reply.

Please be aware that this can happen, and make sure no one is under it while extending or retracting.  Also, if you know what to check, I would highly recommend adding it to your checklist.
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 4:33pm
Yikes! Thanks for the heads up. Another item to add to our checklist when our 192 arrives and we go over it. The most important thing is that no one was hurt, and things can be repaired or replaced.
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 5:13pm
How was it attached (other than not very well)? Some photos might be useful. There's no much solid material in rpod walls to attach things to.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 10:35pm
on my manual model there are screws locking the awning to the track. Some of these were missing/broken. they got replaced and all has been okay since.  check those. I think they were over-torqued when the awning was installed.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GCRicker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 11:27pm
Here is the picture I took of it right after it fell off.  The bracket is still firmly attached to the RPod, the awning motor is hanging on the side with the wires holding it, and the LED strip is just hanging there.  On the ground you can see how much the awning opened before fell off.  I'll look tomorrow to see if I can see where any screw held it onto the bracket, but I think there were any.

JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 7:37am
Wow that is some faulty installation / assembly.  With no one hurt and it doesn't look like the trailer suffered any damage it is just the inconvenience of the matter.  With a new trailer that alone really su**s.  It is repairable and there is still fun times to be had with your RPod.
Jay

179/2019
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 9:14am
One word: Super Glue. Or is that two words?

Big smile
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 11:38am
I'll definitely check that when I get my 2022 196. I put a deposit down on it a couple of days ago, but it could be 3-4 months before I see it.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
GCRicker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 12:21pm
Update on my awning.  It's been 3 1/2 months since I originally contacted my dealer, Cold Springs RV in New Hampshire, about the awning falling off.  They determined the awning fell off because it was only being held on by 3 of the 6 screws that were supposed to be used to keep it in place.  An obvious Forest River mistake while they were building it.  It was my understanding that they were ordering parts and working with Forest River on payment. Not so!  Cold Springs RV evidently just forgot about it.  I called Cold Springs RV asking for a status, and they said no parts can be ordered until Forest River confirms they will pay for it.  They were going to contact Forest River (again?) and see what can be done...  
I still have heard NOTHING!  Its so frustrating!!!  I'm not sure what to do at this point.

mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 12:28pm
Have you contacted Forest River yourself?? At least you might find out if the dealer sucks, or if it's forest river. I'd kinda like to know, because I was considering maybe going thru coldsprings R.V. next time. If I buy another pod that is. I might just go with something else. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>