Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedF150 Lightning Off Grid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: F150 Lightning Off Grid
    Posted: 22 May 2021 at 5:44am
Looks like Ford is likely to be first to offer bidirectional charging on an EV in the US, with a focus on emergency backup. With around 100-150
kwh battery capacity that should last many days. This article suggests Ford plans to partner with SunRun for full off grid operation. Ford is even suggesting they will enable energy arbitrage.

All with 563 hp and 4wd and starting at under $40k (less the $7500 tax credit). The frunk is really nice too. I might almost break down and get a pickup again (but I'll keep my horse trailer to actually haul stuff).

Lightning bidirectional charging
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 7:44am
Yeah, I've watched just about every YouTube video there is on the truck. Has some very, very cool features at an impressive entry price.

The bidirectional charging is particularly intriguing cuz I am really getting tired of dragging my Generac 8Kw portable out of the garage.

I will be in the market for a new TV next year. Sadly, it won't be the Lightning. The range is a deal killer for me. I've seen and read estimates of 50-60% advertised range hauling 5-6k pounds. Even with the range extended option, It's just too little range for a practical camper TV for me.

I wonder if campgrounds may start charging more for charging?

I do think they will sell tons of these trucks.

f

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 8:17am
I've about decided to sell the rpod anyway. Haven't used it in over a year and with the little farm we have now that's not going to change anytime soon.

That takes long range towing off the table for me as a requirement. Towing a utility or horse trailer short distances the f150 lightning would be fine.

Just considering it as a battery only it's a bargain. Around 350-400 $ per kwh for Li batteries, that's cheaper than buying salvage Tela packs. On top of that it's a very functional high performance 4wd truck with a big inverter on board. What's not to like? This vehicle will be a game changer unless Ford is blowing smoke on the V2H features. I bet they sell tons in TX after last winter's fiasco.

For me a lot will depend on how well it will integrate with my solar system, which I plan to be 18kwdc/11.4 kwac. If I have to spend a bunch of money on SunRun for stuff I can do in my sleep after 40 years of experience then I'm not going to be interested.

I put in a deposit though, it's refundable so why not?
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 9:35am
Originally posted by fwunder

....cuz I am really getting tired of dragging my Generac 8Kw portable out of the garage.

First world problems!

I wonder if campgrounds may start charging more for charging?

In that case, just use your charge card to pay a higher charge for charging...just dont grab the electrical connector when it's raining, or you might get a charge during charging!

I do think they will sell tons of these trucks.

Or maybe, a half ton of 'em.

Tongue
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 9:49am
Originally posted by offgrid

I've about decided to sell the rpod anyway. Haven't used it in over a year and with the little farm we have now that's not going to change anytime soon.

Oh you may have read my mind OR my post in that other thread about camper prices...since I bought my current patch of earth, I just cant get away for weeks at a time like I used to when I had that little cracker-box house in town, which was where I lived when I bought the r-pod.

I am currently cleaning it out and removing certain items, mostly the ham-radio related hardware. 

I put together a list of all the boondocking upgrades...it is almost SCARY how well suited it is for offgrid (no pun intended!) use..I hope the next owners appreciate it!

I'll make sure they do...its gonna be priced accordingly. 

I can still get away for a day or two..so I've gone back to using my pickup camper shell as a 'sleeper bunk'...no cooking or tv watching or roof air....just a bed to lay down in, while parked overnight at a Walmart or a friends driveway.

I called the dealer where I bought the r-pod from 2 years ago, asking if they might be interested in selling it on consignment....they said, 'C'MON DOWN!'...small campers are in short supply, he has none to sell, and he says at least once a week, sometimes several times a week, he has buyers in looking for a small camper....

WHOOHOOO! In almost all of my vehicle and RV transactions over the years, I have nearly always lost money (use and depreciation seems to cost me something) ....this time I might make a few bucks.....

We will see!

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 10:27am
This is probably one of the best times to sell a travel trailer that we'll see in our lifetimes.  Sooner or later the fad will die down and there will be small travel trailers for a dime a dozen.  If you're only taking up space in your driveway or, even worse, paying storage, but not using it, there couldn't be a better time to get rid of these expensive toys.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 2:25pm
The other problem with a generator is you have to have fuel for it. We just had a taste of the bad old days of gas lines here in the SE. It's beyond stupid that someone can sit in a basement in Russia or wherever and shut down the pipeline that supplies near half the fuel for the East Coast. The electric grid isn't that stable to begin with, think it just might be vulnerable too?

Yeah, now's the time to sell. But my honeydoo list around here gets longer by the day. Not sure where pimpin' the 'pod for sale fits into all that.

Anyhow, with what I might get for the rpod and the Highlander, I figured the F150 Lightning could be a pretty dang cheap rolling battery pack. I can keep the old Prius for longer runs till more charging stations get built out, it's not worth a whole lot anymore anyhow, but it runs just fine and still gets 45-50 mpg.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 7:12am
Interesting review of the Lightning. Watch till the end if interested. Sounds like the 300 mile range is with a half ton in the bed so it might do better than expected. I hope Ford decides to sell some with the functional features but basic trim, I'm not interested in leather seats, a sunroof, a 15 inch display screen, and self driving software.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply