R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsoft start

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: soft start
    Posted: 24 May 2021 at 3:04pm
Why do you have to raise the battery rack? Two batteries should fit in the existing rack. You can rotate them a little so they slide in if you need to. In Any case it's not a big deal to extend a battery cable if you need to, just use a butt splice with self sealing heat shrink.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 5:12pm
Maybe we need a good pic posted of 2 12 volt dedicated deep cycle batteries wired in parallel, showing the connections. As well, showing how the trailer connection is connected.

As for the power loss issue, what kind of battery is it? It must be a deep cycle battery, not a dual purpose boat battery or worse yet...a battery designed for starting a vehicle! Your battery may be a deep cycle but it may be toast due to age, over-discharge, freezing etc.

With no 120 volt loads and a fair sized solar panel in half decent sunlight you shouldn't be having a problem. You may need to get the battery load tested at a shop to confirm its serviceability.

If you do go for 2 new deep cycle batteries, make sure they are exactly the same make, model, capacity etc. This is to maximize their life and so they share the power load when hai g them.

Definitely see of the inverter switch is working, no need to invert power except when you need it for charging your phone, perhaps using a cpap machine, etc...turn it off when it isn't needed.

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
Hunter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 5:41pm
   The two batteries that I have will fit on the existing rack without a box. I cannot find a box that will handle the two batteries and the available space at the same time. So if I raise the rack I will have space for two boxes. Another solution I have been thinking about is just to build my own box. 
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 6:52pm
There have been earlier threads that highlighted the light weight frames RPODS are built on. Very in depth.

OG has put forward a strong argument that great care must be taken not to overload the A frame. So, please consider the weight (and the resulting tongue load on your TV as well) you wish to load in that area.

You can utilize the search function if you are interested in order to search OG's prior posts.

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 8:15am
Ok, the issue is the box not the batteries. The plastic battery boxes are flexible and will slide into place. Battery case sizes are standardized. Look up the group size of the batteries you have (or check by the case dimensions) and then look on line for the outside dimensions of boxes designed for that size. Just get two of those (they're not expensive) and strap
them to the rack.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 8:34am
Hunter, you may want to consider something other than a battery box.  There are various tongue boxes that will easily hold two batteries.  I mounted this one on my 172 and it worked very well.  https://www.harborfreight.com/231-cu-ft-steel-trailer-tongue-box-61602.html?_br_psugg_q=tongue+box  It'll take a little drilling for wires and self drilling screws to attach.  Be sure to sue rubber grommets where you make holes for wire.  Only bad thing is that it costs about $35 more than what I paid.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Hunter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 1:28pm
   This is what I was originally planning to do but I cannot find two boxes 12.25 long. Everything seems to be 11 or then go up to 13,14". The batteries are 12.17'" long. Will keep looking. Thanks
Hunter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 1:39pm

Thanks for all your info Andy. I will look into the weight stuff although I am only adding the weight of one more battery to the tongue and see that many have already done this without problem. 
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 1:54pm
No worries, Hunter. My concern had to do with the possible addition of a 2nd box in addition to your 2 battery planned install. It all adds up, I guess I was getting at.

I am also planning on a 2 battery install on our new trailer when it arrives...I will leave only 1 propane tank on the A frame to reduce tongue load as a 192 has quite a hefty tongue load from what I have read.

I also have a Sherline tongue weight scale to monitor actual weights as I don't like guessing. I have plenty of room as well as capacity to carry extra load in the back of my cap-covered truck box so that gives us loading options.

Have a great day,

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 2:30pm
Sounds like you have group 27 batteries. The batteries should fit in these cases, check that the outside dimensions will work.

batt box
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12