R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsoft start

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: soft start
    Posted: 24 May 2021 at 8:45am

I have a couple of questions. First if I am setting up two agm batteries in // do I have to run the  connections to the camper two both batteries or can I put the pos and neg on one of the batteries if I have set up the pos to both batteries and the neg to both batteries. I am thinking of raising the batteries up on another rack so I can fit two 100ah agm batteries on the trailer and concerned about the length of the existing wires to the camper.
    The second question is if I put a soft start on the 15k air conditioner how much will this reduce startup demand? I would like to run a 1200w and a 2500w generator in // to reduce the weight of what I have to move around?
    Thanks in advance. YOU guys have been so helpful!
     Oh another question the 2021 rpod 196 comes with an inverter 1000w. Anyone know what it runs on the camper. I have noticed that I am using up power faster than I want to.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 9:14am
Put the pos from the trailer on one battery and the neg from the trailer on the other battery, plus of course the positive jumper between the batts and the negative between the batts. By doing it that way the cabling between each battery and the trailer will be of equal length.

Get an Easystart (not a simple soft start capacitor) which will reduce your startup current by about 2/3. I believe you actually have a 13.5 kbtu a/c. At least that's what the specs say. My Honda 2kw starts and runs the 13.5kbtu a/c fine with the Easystart, so I don't think you'll need to lug around the 1200 watt genny, even if you could parallel it with the 2500 which I'm not sure is possible.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 9:57am
You say you are using a lot of power from your battery(s) and have the inverter option. Do you also have the 100 watt solar panel affixed to your roof to try to keep your batteries topped up?

It sounds like you currently have been depending on a single 12 volt deep cycle battery for not only 12 volt loads but also providing you with 110 volt power? You need to verify what your loads are in your trailer...write them down as propane, 12 volt load and 110 volt. This is just to help you (and us) figure out where your power is going and how your systems work together. Am example of a energy hog is if you have a coffee maker that plugs into your 110 volt receptacle. If it is rated at 1000 watts, in 30 minutes it has used 500 watts of energy which on its own will take, say, 5 hours of good sunlight to replace, maybe more. (Just rough figures for example purposes! There are engineers who can give you precise numbers but I am not that guy. :-)

Now, if you have NO solar panels and you are boondocking and using your 110 volt power you only have so much energy available in your battery. A solar system has to be sized properly to be able to consistently provide you the power you need.

Inverters take 12 volt battery power and provide 110 volt power but in doing this, due to inefficiencies inherent to the conversion, they lose about 10 to 15 percent. This will also help empty your battery quickly and you don't want to go any lower than 50% charge to prevent damage/shortened life of the battery. A 100,amp hour battery only had a max of 50 amp hours of energy that is useable.

End of story, you need to know where you are using your electricity. You should be running everything you can on propane (water heater, fridge/freezer) and nothing on 110 volt if you have no solar panels...I would suggest turn off your inverter as well to save wasting energy when it isn't needed.

You could let the forum know your power usage (as well as if you have solar panels their size/wattage) for more specific thoughts/recommendations. You will quickly figure out what is going on!

Have a great day,

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
Hunter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 11:46am

Thanks for your reply Andy. I do have the 100 watt solar panel. The only thing I am running off the  electricity when off the grid is the water pump,lights, and fan in bathroom when needed that i know of?I have no  appliances that  I am using. As I said I do not know what the inverter is running?  The switch to turn it off does not work so I guess I will try and check the wiring. The inverter I suspect is where the draw is coming from. Everything you mentioned is running off propane. 
Hunter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 11:56am

Sorry I meant to say easystart. The air conditioner is a 15k. It was pre ordered by another person that then decided to not buy the camper so I ended up with it. If the easy start reduces the initial draw by 2/3
then I think as you say the 2500 gen would work. Thanks for getting back to me! I guess with the batteries then I cannot run the camper connection off one battery if I have two batteries in //? The // jumpers are both the same length. I am trying to find all this out before I bu buy the 2500w. Thanks for your help!
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 12:16pm
Just one more quick note, the above notes I made are if you are boondocking. If you are using shore power it will provide your power and your power converter will give you your 12 volt power and charge your battery at the same time.
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 12:39pm
Not sure I follow your question but if you put two batteries in parallel then you will be running the 12v system in the trailer from both batteries. That is fine and is what you want. As for length you will need to try it and see. I think it will probably be fine.

You'll likely be fine with your 2500 watt generator, install the Easystart and try it and see. Be sure to turn off your other ac loads (like your water heater ac element) and put the fridge on propane. Pick a hot day and let the a/c cycle a few times to be sure the generator holds.

It doesn't sound like the inverter is running anything so that's good.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 12:58pm
One question, where and when during the day do you want to use the a/c? If you're in a designated campground with no hookups and want to use it at night you're likely to be disappointed, most places have quiet hours and dont allow generator operation at night.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Hunter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:45pm

Thanks for your response. I appreciate the thought that when I am in a campground without power they will not allow the generators to run at night. So far this is the extent of my off grid camping so the larger generator is not necessary until I am boondocking away from campgrounds. This will be awhile I suspect.
Hunter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:53pm

Sorry for not being clearer . I am thinking of raising the battery rack to make room for two 100ah batteries and am concerned about having to splice connections to the camper so I had was wondering if I could just put the pos and neg connections  to the camper on the nearest battery. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>