R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGMC Trailer Camera Install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: GMC Trailer Camera Install
    Posted: 26 May 2021 at 12:40pm
I bought a used 2019 R-Pod 190 over the winter and we are taking out first trip this weekend. Though the trailer is small and the mirror visibility is not too bad I was thinking about installing a rear camera to the trailer to utilize the transparent trailer feature on my 2020 Sierra. I wanted to see if anyone on the forum has done this or knows if a hard wired camera can even be installed. Let me know if anyone has any info. Thanks

Kidogo23 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 3:03pm
I just purchased the camera setup for the GMC invisible trailer app to mount on my 2017 rPod 179. I plan to mount the camera in the next few days and will update after it's done. A few things I've discovered so far:
1) The installation instructions say DO NOT run the wiring underneath your trailer because of the risk of damage to the harness. I plan to ignore this warning for a couple of reasons. One is just aesthetics; I don't want to see the wiring running over the top or on the side of our Pod. The second is I think the harness will last a lot longer if it's protected from sunlight. We live at 4200' elevation, so the solar radiation is pretty strong. I've looked under the trailer, and there's lots of wiring under there, all in pretty good shape after 5 years of use. I think I can protect it pretty well.
2) The installation calls for putting two bolts through the wall of the trailer. This makes me a little nervous, but I'm planning to use some silicone behind the mounting bracket and in the penetrations to make it as waterproof as possible. (I also suspect the the M6 bolts that are provided with the camera kit will be too short to make it all the way through the wall. I'll have some longer ones on hand before I do the install.)
3) In our rPod, the kitchen cabinet and sink are on the inside of the rear wall. I believe I'll have to mount the camera slightly higher than the ideal spot to clear the top of the sink cabinet with the bolts, but still within the zone that's acceptable.
2017 rPod 179
2020 GMC Sierra 1500
2 Elie Touring Kayaks
1 wife and 1 small dog
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 9:39pm
think about using Dicor instead of silicone. It will work much better in almost all cases. the silicone will attract mold/mildew and the next maintenance coat will not stick.  There are 2 types of dicor-Get the Dicor made for vertical(not horizontal) surfaces.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Kidogo23 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 9:35am
Thanks for the tip. Never heard of Dicor. I'll check it out.
2017 rPod 179
2020 GMC Sierra 1500
2 Elie Touring Kayaks
1 wife and 1 small dog
 Post Reply Post Reply