R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

CO Alarm going off during travel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote RPodFan775 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CO Alarm going off during travel
    Posted: 27 May 2021 at 7:09pm
Just did a 2-week trip with our new-to-us 195. One thing that was weird is that the CO detector alarm would sometimes go off during travel. We would stop for gas or a lunch break, and the alarm was doing it’s thing. Not always, though. Any idea why? We turn off the gas at the tank before traveling. No windows or vents are open. Nothing is sitting near the detector. The alarm goes off as soon as we push it’s reset button. It has not gone off in other situations (like at camp). Not a big deal, but a bit annoying.
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by RPodFan775

One thing that was weird is that the CO detector alarm would sometimes go off during travel. We would stop for gas or a lunch break, and the alarm was doing it’s thing.

How is your battery level in those situations?  Are you getting a charge from your tow vehicle?

The alarm will go off when battery is low.  Ask me how I know!  Confused

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
RPodFan775 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RPodFan775 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 7:52pm
Hi there, thanks for the reply! (Nice to hear from a VC podder, seeing as how we are from just down the hill in S Reno.) I think the battery level is good. We have the rooftop solar feature, which has done a great job keeping the battery topped up. At least I think so, or at least it should.
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 9:18pm
Check your battery with a voltmeter to verify.  Should be at least 12.2v or higher when battery is at rest - not charged for at least 6 hours and not plugged in to 120.  If battery is good and as poston wisely suggested that your TV is in fact charging your battery and the problem persists then the CO detector is likely junk.  Replace it, not a big deal, definitely better than having it go off in the middle of the night or any other time you are inside.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote riotkayak284 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 11:23am
I have seen exhaust fumes at a Truck Stop trigger ours. But most of the time this is just a bad one. Replace it.... 2 wires and done.
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kup-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 7:57pm
Let me start by admitting that I'm obviously a slow learner!
For the third time now I have sprayed Lysol in the trailer and realize that Lysol aerosol spray sets off the CO detector.  I've confirmed this three times (all about a year apart by the way, so it's my long term memory that's the problem! :-))

So, lesson learned, don't spray Lysol aerosol spray in the RPod!:-)
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
Leo B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 5:38am
We had that happen when we first bought our 179 it just ended up being bad, easy and quick to replace.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 11:10am
Not just Lysol. Any product that has petroleum distillates in it can trigger a propane alarm. My wife even had it happen with non-aerosol floor cleaner.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
john in idaho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 6:45pm
Just curious----whyLysol in the trailer?
Gualalapod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gualalapod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 11:00am
I was going to ask how to check to see if the CO detector is working.  Now I Know, Lysol test.  But...if anyone else has a better way to check please let me know.  Ours is from 2015 and has no lights on or anything.  
Gualalapod owner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>