FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew member moving from R-pod 175 to 178

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member moving from R-pod 175 to 178
    Posted: 30 May 2021 at 8:36pm
Hello everyone!

Enjoyed our 2011 175 for a few years but found we preferred to have a full dinette for games / more seating area for company etc. so were happy to find a 2013 178 available this past winter, not too far away. Looking to learn from the experience of other R-podders out there as well as hoping to find a used R-dome as we had one on our 175 and loved it, but our newer 178 just has an awning...yes, I know, should have kept the R-dome...hindsight!!!
Looking forward to the upcoming camping season!

Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 9:23pm
You should double check me-but I am pretty sure that if you already have the awning installed from the factory, then you cannot also use an Rdome.  there is no keder rail at the top of the side panel for the dome to slide into and the awning is in the way of trying to install a track.  The only choice is either awning or Rdome-you can't have both.
sorry to break the bad news-I know how you feel because we love our rdome also.
welcome and safe travels
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Guitarpodome View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 9:32pm
Thanks Vann.  The awning is a crank out  aftermarket put on by the previous purchaser (original owner) but there is a seder rail on the pod, the 14mm.  Yes, you're correct, it appears we can't have both, as the awning would interfere with the dome track, but I would happily remove and pass along the awning to someone else if I can find a suitable R-dome.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 9:33pm
Sorry...keder rail...
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 6:10am
Welcome and hope you enjoy your new 178.  Check out the General Camping tab and go to the campers flea market as there is an r-dome available now if you jump on it right away.  They don't last too long so don't delay. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 7:53am
Guitar, a friend of mine has a 180 with a factory installed awning... He installed the keeder rail for the rdome over top of the awning.  As well as the bottom keeder rail.  He now has the best of both worlds..   His name is Ken Small and he is on rpod face book as well as rpod owners Canada. You might be able to get in touch with him.  Good luck.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 8:24am
Thanks Jato.  Having a look now...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 8:30am
Hello Ron...interesting... I just went out to have a look at my 178. The vertical mounting rails for the awning end just below the keder rail, but the awning itself appears to interfere a bit (touches and protrudes above) with the rail toward the back of the R-pod where it begins to curve down...the front is completely clear. I'm thinking if I extended the awning slightly, say a foot or two, I would have plenty of clearance to mount the R-dome above it.  That would save removing the awning and patching up any mounting holes, as well as giving me another option...as you said..the best of both worlds. Will also see if I can look up Ken Small for any other advice. Thanks Ron.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 8:48am
Ron...just had another look on a stepladder.  Sadly, about a foot of the keder rail was cut out to mount the bracket for what appears to be an 8' zip -dee awning to the top side of the wall. It's completely clear for over 90% of the keder rail, but obviously would interfere with the attachment of an R-dome. So even removing the awning will leave me with a one foot gap in the keder rail...hopefully a few suggestions /  ideas will be coming in from this forum...think I may have to leave it as is for some time.
 Post Reply Post Reply