R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeed help with awning support clamps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with awning support clamps
    Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 4:14pm
We have a 2017 R-Pod 190 with a Thule Crown manual awning.  The support leg clamps do not clamp well.  I have read the forums and found that it requires a lot of pressure to set the clamps, but even with bending the arm as hard as possible, it does not lock in place. 

This seems like a bad design.  Is there any 3rd party replacement for these clamps available?  I can't seem to even find the originals available on any on-line store. 

Any help on this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
Scott and Noreen
2017 R-Pod 190, 2011 Toyota Tundra
Pilgrims on the way to the Celestial City
RoverPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 6:53pm
Are you making sure that you are pushing the tabs up and AWAY from the camper body?
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
Ciberpine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 10:02pm
Yes, using as much force as i can muster.
Scott and Noreen
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 11:25pm
Do you feel the clamps increase in resistance. When they pass the 90 degree point, it will be very stiff. They will reach a point where you think they will break. Keep pushing. It will feel like it is going to break but it will then feel like it has passed a point and it will be easier to finish pushing it until it reaches that point. The position will be about 120 degrees from where it started. It might be a little more. I don't have a protractor so I can't be sure of the angle.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
RFrog View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 11:54pm
Thank you for posting this!  I had the exact same problem this weekend, and read the forum to get the same answer, however it honestly feels like I will snap those things off!  It’s only 2 years old, but the clips seem a little bit brittle. I suppose I could seek out replacement parts prior to forcing so that if/when it breaks I have a fix already in mind. It’s also counter intuitive to flip the things UP-outward instead of downward to lock into place. I even watched a few YouTube videos and the make it look super easy!  I honestly feel like I’m doing something wrong, or it’s a really hinky design. 
~dani~ 2019 RP180 purchased 5/15/21; towed by 2014 Willys Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Ciberpine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 8:47am
I cannot get the lever past about 100 degrees angle.  It will not "snap" into place and does not stay locked in position. 

Has anyone found replacement parts for these?  Or better, a 3rd party replacement with a better design?
Scott and Noreen
Ciberpine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 11:23am
Thank you to those of you that replied.  Just an update.  I let it rest for a day and went out and tried again to get the latches to "latch" and sure enough it worked.  We had a significant change of weather for rain and cool to dry and warm and maybe that is the factor, but for some reason I was able to get them to latch.

Now, in my trying to figure this out, I took one of the latches apart and, of course, lost the little spring.  I cannot find any place that sells replacement parts of this.  Does anyone know of a place?

Thanks again for the help on this.  -Scott
Scott and Noreen
RFrog View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 10:04pm
Thanks to the posters who assured me I (probably) would not break them. I went out last weekend and put out my awning and MAY have even looked like I knew what I was doing! 
~dani~ 2019 RP180 purchased 5/15/21; towed by 2014 Willys Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 7:04am
Originally posted by Ciberpine

Thank you to those of you that replied.  Just an update.  I let it rest for a day and went out and tried again to get the latches to "latch" and sure enough it worked.  We had a significant change of weather for rain and cool to dry and warm and maybe that is the factor, but for some reason I was able to get them to latch.

Now, in my trying to figure this out, I took one of the latches apart and, of course, lost the little spring.  I cannot find any place that sells replacement parts of this.  Does anyone know of a place?

Thanks again for the help on this.  -Scott
I'm glad it latched for you. Now, as for the spring, look and see if you can find anything similar, like a ball-point pen spring or something in the hardware store that is about the same size and shape. I don't know of any source for springs.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply