Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHonda EU2200i AC test

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Honda EU2200i AC test
    Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 3:10pm
It was warm enough today to do some preliminary testing with new Honda EU2200i, Micro-Air EasyStart 364 and the AC.

I used the MyGenerator App from Honda to capture some data. I left the Honda in Eco Mode throughout the test. To "toggle" the compressor, I simply lowered the thermostat temp as low as it would go to turn it on and raise it to turn compressor off. I left fan running.

Note: It took approximately 2 minutes (1:57) for compressor to start after lowering temp.

I did run the same test with fan on HI. It ran about 50VA higher.

The Honda never struggled and, thanks to the EasyStart, no clunking or jolts. And...it got cold!

So, it looks like I'll have a little reserve power <300 VA. Not enough for my PD4655 running full charge @ same time. My Yamaha 2400 wouldn't do that either.

AC Fan only - Fan-Lo

Compressor kicked on and blowing cold:

Interesting watching the load slowly increase. It took 5-6 minutes for load to level out. This was max VA.

Edited to add pic of EasyStart install:

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 9:33pm
thanks for the test and info. seems like everything worked well and a nice install picture. I haven't used ours but once, but my experience is similar with the Honda and Easy Start.
Stay cool
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 6:19am
I measured mine with a clamp on ammeter and was around 13-14A or so, so that is very similar. The load goes up because the refrigerant back pressure builds as the compressor works, until it eventually settles out. That's why you need to do a few starts to be sure you can start up against the back pressure remaining after the previous compressor cycle.
It will also be higher on a hot day.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 12:26pm
Can that app report RPM? I added a little battery operated tach/hour meter to a couple of my gensets...its especially interesting to watch the RPM on the 1000 watt inverter genset. 

I often see comments on forums that the inverter generators run slower than normal generators....uh...WRONG...at least the smaller ones I have tested will spin up to about 5600 RPM under heavy load, and then slow down to 'idle'...and idle is about 4400 RPM...which is a fair amount higher RPM than the typical contractor generator running at 3600 RPM or the typical built-in Onan turning at 1800 RPM.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 2:27pm
No tach yet, but would not be surprised to see it and other functions in future version depending on what the on board computer puts out.

I'm thinking a timed shutdown could be handy.

fred

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 3:02pm
You guys are smart fellers...

If the app is continually monitoring output power, shouldn't it be able to calculate fuel consumption - both immediate and over time? I'm thinking you reset it with full tank and it estimates runtime. Yeah, I know it will change depending on load, but might be some good data to estimate fuel usage. Of course, a simple mechanical gauge would be nice too.

P.S. Please not that I was being politically correct referring to y'all as smart fellers rather than the obvious juxtaposition.

fred
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 4:10pm
You can download an acoustic tachometer app to obtain rpm data. I use one called engine rpm. Once you've run it on an engine once of twice your ear gets trained so you can roughly tell what that engine is turning. Very handy.

The purpose of the inverter section if an inverter generator is to decouple engibe rpm from ac output frequency which has to be 60Hz or close. That allows the inverter generators to run quietly at (relatively) low rpm when power demand is low. At full load they have to run at rated peak power output which of course comes at high rpm, and like any engine they are quite noisy when run that way. So it's not that the inverter generators run at low rpm, it's that they run at variable rpm.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 2:28pm
Better day for test. Pod is parked in shade. Thermometer in pod showed 88. 50% humidity.

I set thermostat to 72, Fan LO

This time the Honda peaked @ 1650. Neither Honda or AC struggled at all.

Took 48 minutes to drop inside temp to 72 and compressor turned off. I did go in and out a few times.

I'm happy.

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 2:39pm
Let the compressor cycle back on after cycling off a couple of times. The refrigerant builds up back pressure so the 2nd and third compressor nstarts are harder than the first one. That being said I'm quite sure you'll be ok, unless maybe you go up to 6-7000 feet on a hot day.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply