R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Eco Worthy 120 watt solar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eco Worthy 120 watt solar
    Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 4:11pm
I bought a ECO Worthy 120 watt suitcase solar for my boondocking part of my Maine trip
It folds up into a small suitcase, has the charge controller and all the wires and adapters.  You can probably set the panels about 20 feet from the trailer. The prop stand is a little flimsy but it works fine.
I used it to top off the battery when we stopped.  It set the battery voltage to 13.7 and was putting in about 4.1 amps.......I guess the battery would have to be discharged more for it to pump out more?  Sure seemed to work great for me.....only 9.5 lbs
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 4:31pm
Yep at 13.7v you're already fully charged so the charge controller is limiting output some. Pull the battery down overnight and then try it. You should get around 6.5-7 amps if it's completely clear and you point the module at the sun.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:28am
I bought that very same kit last month for emergency use. I am well pleased with its components and the controller. I tested it and it worked well. The charge controller is easy to adjust for my battery type. The 2 kickstands do work, I thought I'd need more, but don't, and can adjust the panel angle with their Velcro. I've had several Eco-worthy panels and all have been good.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 7:47am
I have a question on this system.  After reading up a bit on this it looks like I need to add some fuses.  I would assume a 20 amp where it clamps to the battery?  10 amp from solar panel to controller?
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 11:53am
Fuses are there to protect the wires from burning up if you get a short. So if you've already run the wires then select the fuse size for those.
8 awg 40A fuse
10 AWG 30A fuse
12 awg 20A fuse

That is for the battery fuse which should go as close to the +12v battery post as possible. You do not need a fuse at the solar module because if you short a solar module nothing happens, the current it goes up by about 10%. That's because solar modules, unlike batteries, are current limited by how much sun they are getting. So even if you put a fuse there it won't blow anyway.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 12:21pm
Ok thanks.  I have a clamp on system so I will just put an inline fuse on positive clamp side.  I thought since the controller was a 20 amp that you would go with that.  Not sure of the guage of the clamp on wires I suspect they are 12 ga but I will have to check them.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 1:00pm
A 20A controller won't produce 20A with only a 120 watt solar module connected to it. Max would be around 10A. So if your wire size turns out to be 14 gauge which requires a 15A fuse you could do that. The problem will be that if you have a long wire run so you can move your solar modules around then you will have significant voltage drop due to wire resistance. I would run 12 Awg minimum personally.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 1:38pm
I am just using the clamp on system that it came with the 12 volt connection isn't real long maybe 10 ft and I would just be adding an inline fuse to it.  The output wire for the panels is fairly long to give you enough room to set the panels where needed
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 3:47pm
It's the total wire length from the solar module to the battery that determines the voltage drop.

You can use this calculator to determine what it is. Set the power factor at 1.0 and the current at the solar module max power current (Imp) which should be printed on the label. Preferably this drop shouldn't be more than about 0.5V on a 12V system. If it's more than that consider bumping up the wire size.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 7:28pm
  Reading the posts on solar panels got my interest enough to buy a Zamp 140 watt legacy portable solar panel. Amazon warehouse had it for $410.00 hope it arrives in good condition. My past experience with amazon warehouse has been mostly positive hope it continues that way when the solar panel arrives. We are hoping to use the solar panel more and our generator less. Zamp solar panels are considered pricey but for $410.00 I was willing to buy a Zamp and if it doesn't arrive in good working condition we can always return it free shipping for a full refund. The Zamp is also considered a little heavy hope too that is not a problem.                                                                                                                                  10/5/21     The solar panel arrived in very good condition I plugged it in to the Zamp connection on the camper and everything seems to work. It's heavy about 32 pounds but it is well built should out live me if I don't damage the solar panels and if the controller doesn't malfunction. I am 68 years old so the 32 pounds is a little heavy to be moving around I can do it but would rather it be a little lighter that's the only negative thing I can say about it. I set it on the propane tanks and let the top lean against the front of the camper and used a bungee strap to help secure it. I tried that to see if it works and I think in a rest area or parking lot can use it that way and have a bicycle lock that I can use for security locking the frame of solar panel to the trailer tongue. When not in use it folds and has a nice case for storage.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>