R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFridge on propane failure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fridge on propane failure
    Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 5:28pm

After cleaning chimney, and cleaning orifice, it worked ok for 5 minutes and then started doing the same thing like shown in the video. I assume that gas valve (next contraption up the gas line from orifice) can be plugged, but I don't know how likely that is. It is a pain to get to this thing

2018 R-Pod 180
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 5:42am
Having experienced a similar situation last year I had to replace the following after doing the same things you did: replace the regulator and the hose that went from the regulator (downstream) to the metal line.  Upon taking both regulator and hose off I encountered a gooey black substance that was blocking the flow of propane to the gas valve, just upstream from the picture you show.

Hopefully this is your issue.  Mine was on a 2011 177 so a bit older.  By taking the hose and regulator off and turning upside down you will quickly be able to tell if you have this going on as well.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
MIK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 10:24am
Originally posted by jato

Hopefully this is your issue.  Mine was on a 2011 177 so a bit older.  By taking the hose and regulator off and turning upside down you will quickly be able to tell if you have this going on as well.

Thanks! I already replaced the regulator as it was acting up and required an occasional tap to get it going. It had some goo in it that was making the regulator's spring not working correctly. The gas stove burners and water/space heaters operate fine. It's just the fridge that is struggling.

I left the output hose hanging for a day to check if anything leaks out of that, but didn't see anything. I can certainly replace that hose. 

Where did you order that hose from?
2018 R-Pod 180
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 5:28am
Having the same issues.  Cleaned everything up.  Pilot briefly lights, then blows out.  Any other thoughts?  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
MIK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by hogone

Having the same issues.  Cleaned everything up.  Pilot briefly lights, then blows out.  Any other thoughts?  hogone

current thinking is propane goo in the lines. I am planning to replace the line that goes to the gas valve in the pic above, but I need to figure out where to order one.
2018 R-Pod 180
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:25pm
It isn't a pilot light. There isn't one in the refrigerator, furnace,. or water heater. It is the flame. I have had that happen when the lines were not thoroughly purged. After several lighting attempts (involving pressing the reset button after it times out), the flame would come on and stay on. The refrigerator, water heater, and furnace are all direct spark ignition and don't require a pilot light.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 7:23pm
MIK  Been offgrid for a few days and saw your question just now.  Go to any propane service center; places that sell propane to homeowners and they will be able to sell you any length and fitting you desire.  Probably best to bring in your old one so they can duplicate it if that is what you want.
God's pod
'11 model 177
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 7:30pm
Also taking a can of compressed air and inserting it upstream of the ignition point where the ignitor sits may also dislodge and goo or spider webs. 

Another area to check is your cooling stack or some call it cooling chimney.  At the top there is a small phillips screw that holds the black chimney onto the cooling stack.  Take it off and make sure the silver metal piece that hangs off of it is clean, it could be gunked up with debris.  Also take that compressed air and spray from underneath going up and also on top going down  -  chance of spider webs in there as well.

Final question is do you added screen to both cooling vents so that spiders, bees, hornets cannot gain access?
God's pod
'11 model 177
MIK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 9:37am

Also taking a can of compressed air and inserting it upstream of the ignition point where the ignitor sits may also dislodge and goo or spider webs. 

good idea.I'll do that

Another area to check is your cooling stack or some call it cooling chimney. 

Yup. Took it off and ran a flexible rod through to make sure nothing is in there.

Final question is do you added screen to both cooling vents so that spiders, bees, hornets cannot gain access?

No, but I checked everything and nothing is there that shouldn't be. The plastic covers for the vents have screens that seems to be doing good enough job from that stand point.
2018 R-Pod 180
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 10:04am
Is it possible that in cleaning, you got the thermocouple that senses the flame out of place? If so, then it is not detecting the flame and is shutting down the gas because it is trying to protect you from an explosion.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>