R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedpropane tank detector

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: propane tank detector
    Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 8:48am
Has anyone else used the Mopeka Bluetooth propane tank detectors? I've had them for a couple of months now and, while I don't now how precise their fill measurements are, they are doing a great job keeping me up-to-date an general usage. I keep one tank wiht very little propane and another I refill when it's empty (that way when I run out I always have a little backup without ever carrying two full tanks.

These use sonar and attach to the bottom of the the tank. They connect to a Bluetooth phone app. Set-up was pretty easy once I figured out what I was doing. I'm really happy wiht them.

I noticed the other day that Mopeka sells a similar device for water tanks and I am considering trying them. Please let me know if any if you have used them. I know folks on here say you can check fresh water fill by looking at the tank but on my 172 I can't figure out how one would do that because the tank is positioned up into the frame in a way that only the bottom is visible.

Anyway....it's fun to find a useful gadget that works.

Happy camping

Julie
Julie
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 10:26am
I have three of the sensors. Two are attached to the tanks on our RPod and another to the tank in the truck bed. I have the panel for the two in the RPod and the app on the phone for the third. Accuracy is so-so. One day it will read the tanks as full, the next, as nearly empty. It is this lack of consistency in measurement that is frustrating. It seemed to be accurate at first, but overall, I would save the money and use the hot water method which is the most accurate after removing the tank and weighing it.

That being said, I also have two of the tanks with the guage so I can compare that with the Mopeka device. That is how I can make the comment about lack of accuracy/consistency in measurement. If I had known how inaccurate/inconsistent these sensors are, I would have saved the money.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 5:27pm
I always just chalked it up to expansion and contraction of the liquid in the tanks. The Mopeka sensor operates by sonar, bounding sound waves off the liquid/vacuum interphase. My last sensor even came with gel like they use for sonograms, so maybe they figured out that the sound transmission was inconsistent and borrowed a page from the medical industry.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 7:45pm
I have two Mopeka sensors for sale.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC