R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRaised electric tongue jack too high

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raised electric tongue jack too high
    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 6:20pm
Well, it’s my first trip and I immediately did the one thing I was told not to do. I was opening the hatchback of my forerunner and it leaned against the electric tongue jack button. It ran the electric tongue jack all the way up and now I can’t lower it down. I tried to use the Manuel tool but it’s just spinning in circles. Any ideas on how I can get it lowered? For right now since I can’t raise my trailer with the tongue jack, is it OK just to use my stabilizers to level myself front to back? Help. :(
Cassandra
2019 Rpod 190
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 6:39pm
Don't use the stabilizers to raise or lower the trailer...they don't have enough beef to them and where they are attached to the frame of the trailer would also not take the weight they are trying to lift.  You would be doing more damage than good.  If you or you have someone take the electric jack apart to repair it, it might be as simple as replacing a shear pin on the pinion gear.  I don't know I have NOT had the jack apart and have not seen any repair manuals for the jack.  If you are going to be trying to raise the tongue of the trailer with another jack make sure that the wheels of the trailer are chocked really well (so they won't move).  Hope this helps.
Jay

179/2019
Ghost1671 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 7:49pm
Thank you Jay! I realized that about the stabilizers when I got down there. I didn’t raise the stabilizers to take any weight, but I did put them on to stabilize it at its unlevel position. Lol! Well, after this trip I guess I’m going to get that fixed.
Cassandra
2019 Rpod 190
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 9:33pm
If you need the trailer immediately, I think the easiest thing now would be to replace the electric jack with a manual jack.  both jacks have the same 3 bolt mounting platform.  Use a bottle jack or floor jack to hold  up the A frame/tongue which will take the weight off the electric jack.  chock the wheels well and unbolt the electric jack. bolt on a manual jack and lower it.  they are not that expensive and are mostly universal.  Harbor freight, walmart and any boat/ trailer place has them.
I have replaced them before.  check the bolt hole pattern, the weight rating and the maximum extended height to make sure it will work.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:46am
I wonder if you put a floor jack under the rear axle of the TV and just put a little UP force to relieve the strain on the gears in the elec lift?  Not much, but a little.  YMMV, and it may do nothing.
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:49am
We did that and blew the inline fuse.  Replaced it and the jack was back in operation.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
Ghost1671 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 7:16pm
I was able to get right in with Allied Trailer Supply, in Sacramento. They just took a huge pipe wrench and pulled it down. Good as new!! They didn't even charge me!! <3 Lesson learned!! 
Thank you all for your feedback. I am new to the group, and am already appreciating the support. 
Cassandra
2019 Rpod 190
 Post Reply Post Reply