This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOur first trip!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our first trip!
    Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 2:08pm
hi all!

well, we made our first trip...  not only did we survive, we had a wonderful time!

our 171 is new to us and we tow it with a 2020 f-150...  we headed out on a thursday for Salisbury State Reservation in the northeast corner of Massachusetts (where we're from)...  We spend a night there and then moved on up to Lake Willoughby in northern Vermont...

the campground at Salisbury is quite nice...  the sites are easy in and out with water and power and since it's early in the season and not quite the weekend it wasn't terribly crowded...  the campground is adjacent to the Merrimack River on one side and the ocean on another... easy walk to both, which pleased us both as we enjoyed a nice walk down the beach...  at the end of the beach is the touristy, "honky tonk" sort of stuff with junk food, games, boardwalk etc...  it's a bit run down compared to it's neighbor to the north but that also translates into less traffic...  we had a great dinner at an italian restaurant nearby, grabbed an ice cream and went back for a nice quiet night...

the ride the next day to Lake Willoughby was an easy trip... we stayed at the Will-o-wood campground about a half mile from the lake... really nice friendly folks there...  lots of seasonal people and families...  not as quiet as Salisbury but still quite nice... stayed here 2 nights and enjoyed the lake and surrounding area...  Deb is originally from Vermont and after 2 nights at Willoughby she took us on "the scenic route" back home...  

i used to have a small rv and got lots of use out of it before we got together...  this was Deb's first trip and she claims she's hooked and already looking forward to our next trip out!  3 nights was a nice ice breaker but obviously not enough...  not sure where our next destination will be... perhaps back to Vermont, perhaps the White Mountains of New Hampshire...

any other New England pod people out here?

Deb 'n Dave
(pic of our site at Will-o-wood)

da ve
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by debndave

well, we made our first trip...  not only did we survive, we had a wonderful time

Glad you had a great trip!  Thumbs Up

I can't get enough of hearing about new Rpodders having fun on their first trip.

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 4:51pm
Sounds like a really nice trip! The White Caps campground at the southern end of Lake Willoughby is also really nice.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
debndave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 8:00am
Leo-

Apparently we passed through your town! Beautiful area!

Had brunch one day at Everybuddies (I think that was the place). Near you?

Debndave
da ve
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 4:46pm
Hi DebnDave,

Yes we live probably a mile away from Everybody's, We have breakfast there most Sunday mornings.
One of the best times to swing up is in mid September, foliage is usually really nice! The area campgrounds usually close in early October.

Saw you mentioned Salisbury State Park, did you like it there? we are thinking of trying it next spring.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 8:28am
I just spent the weekend at Salisbury s.p. the 18th t0 the 20th. I go there often, and enjoy it. It's not boondocking for sure, but the wife and I love being right on the river / ocean, and it's easy bike riding terrain.  At 35 bucks a day with elec / water, it's pretty affordable. You can spend a full week there for under 250 bucks. We also like eastern slope campground in conway N.H. It's right on the saco river, and you can tube from one end of the campground to the other all day. Many of the Mt. attractions close by. Last year we took the cog railway up to the top of Mt. Washington, hadn't been there since I was a kid. Was a crazy day, it, was foggy, 50 mph or more winds at times, got cold, and rainy, mixed with sleet. Just down the bottom it was sunny and 80 degrees.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 11:48am
Have never been east of Niagara Falls and running a line to Washington D.C., or simply put - in the northeast.  Are there a lot of boondocking areas to camp or rustic campgrounds in your part of the country Leo?  Once in awhile we may find a spot with electricity but normally like simple camping w/o all the extras.  Not having A/C, entertainment system or microwave/convection oven you can see why we don't need the fancy joints.  Thanks
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 3:42pm
Salisbury SP sounds like a definite this spring going to give it a shot. We have been by it several times back and forth to the Cape.

Hey Jato,
Definitely have some great spots. Have several National Forest areas and some really nice campgrounds, though it is a short season up here so a lot of them are closed by Columbus day. The Northeast Kingdom of Vermont will have great foliage and rides.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
debndave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 10:30am
Leo - 

We would definitely recommend Salisbury.  As MJLRPOD said, it's affordable, right on the water, easy walking/biking trails, well maintained and affordable.  Definitely not boondocking!  I'd heard people say they didn't like it since there aren't many trees so it's not the most private but the facilities were nice and well maintained.  We plan on going back. If you fish, we spotted a few striped bass being pulled out too.  I'm told weekends can be pretty busy but we were early in the season and during the week so no one around us for a couple of sites in each direction.

da ve
debndave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 10:33am
MJL - 

when I was much younger and backpacked the white mountains a lot, my buddies and i used to take great pleasure in mooning the cog railway...  some time ago there was even a web site about it with pictures and such so i guess it became kind of "a thing"...  and no, my posterior was not posted! Smile
da ve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>