R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDometic RM 8501 Fridge probs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dometic RM 8501 Fridge probs
    Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 3:41pm
Hey, RPodsters:

We took our 178 out after a long spell parked and found that the fridge would run on land power but would NOT light on propane.  Sparker would clic a few times--then nada.  A local RV guy says that circuit boards often go out, so after some effort, I got it out, and he's TOTALLY stumped.  Never seen such a model before.  I reinstalled it, cleaned the propane jet just in case, same result. Can't smell gas, either.  Going to have to wait for Monday to call a Dometic service provider--3+ hours away!--but I was wondering if others have had the same problem.  What did you do?  What was the fix?

Is there a good replacement fridge that you would recommend?  We've had problems with Dometics over the years--generally not reliable in our experience.

Thanks so much!

Scott
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 4:25pm
Fixing the Dometic is your best option. No one has come up with a better solution unless you just use a dorm fridge and only camp with hookups. You could convert to a Danfoss electric compressor but it would be a custom system and would still use quite a bit of electricity.

You might just have a blockage in your propane line, others have reported that issue. That would be a good place to start anyhow.   
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
1nana2many View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 8:53pm
Check for spider web in fuel line where air and gas mix. We have had this cause issues with this on our water heater in our Coachman camper more than once during storage. It could be enough to prevent fuel flow. Use a pipe cleaner to clear and see if you get gas smell.. just a thought.
The mountains are calling and we must go...O.D., Keith & Jody
2016 RP179= O.D. (Olive Drab)
2008 Coachman Captiva
1993 Jayco 1206 popup
2016 F150 Supercrew
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 11:27am
Just replaced our Dometic last fall after 10 years of faithful and reliable service in our 177. 

I am sure you lit your burners on stove or your HW to make sure you have propane?

Also, check the fuses that supply power from the 12v battery to the refer, they most likely are toasted and need to be replaced before proceeding further.

Couple things to check:  remove your rubber propane line that goes from the pressure regulator to your RM 8501 fridge.  Remove line at the regulator and note if there is any black gooey substance coming out.  I had this happen at about year 7 or 8 on mine and had that issue.  Replaced the pressure regulator ($ 20) and the hose ($ 12) and was back in business.

Remove your black chimney at the top of your cooling stack, takes a phillips screwdriver (1 screw - easy to see).  Remove the black piece and note the silver metal piece attached.  It should be clean w/o any debris attached.  At the same time take a can of compressed air and blow air into both ends of the stack.  It is a good idea to install screen on both of your vents - they remove via a pair of plastic tabs - either twist with your fingers or use a straight edge screwdriver 1/4 turn.  By installing that you remove the possibility of bees, wasps, or spiders entering and wrecking havoc with plugging your heat stack, combustion area or jet.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Mr. Scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 12:52pm
Thanks so much for your replies.  I'll be looking into these.  The controller is WAY discontinued, as far as I can tell, and a replacement seems to run close to $700.  I'll replace the fridge if that's the case.  Oh, well.  To top it off, our heater stopped working, too!  Ugh.  We went down a couple of rough dirt roads, and she stopped working.  Fridge was already on the fritz by the, however.

Cheers,

Scott
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 1:33pm
Mr. Scott,

2 things:

1) We had an issue a number of years ago going on some very rough roads and the furnace woudn't function after that - turned out that the ignitor had come out of adjustment - had to adjust the two ignitor probes to within specs.  After that it worked fine.

2) What year is your fridge.  If it is the older style (like the one I replaced) I have a spare mother board/display panel that is totally functional - comes with the red and green dot lights on the display.  I believe Dometic used that style until 2014 or so.  If that is what you have/want I will let you have this cheap.  I don't believe it is interchangeable with the newer style ones with the blue lights.
God's pod
'11 model 177
Mr. Scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 1:44pm
Hey, Jeto:

Wow, thanks!  I'll post a picture of the unit below, but what you describe doesn't seem to match.  Our unit doesn't seem to have ANY lights.  It's a big-ish box filled in with some resin kind of stuff from behind.  We're looking at other fridges, too.  Thanks for the heads up on the furnace.  Something we can do ourselves?

Pic of the unit:

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 6:32pm
Mr. Scott

I was not very clear but what I meant was for you to look at the front of your display panel on top of your fridge.  Does the display only show blue lights (newer dometic models) or red and green dots (older models - in which I saved my old one and is available).  PM me and I can send some pics if you wish.
God's pod
'11 model 177
Mr. Scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 7:49pm
Hey, Jato:  Alas, we have the blues--only blue lights.  Right now, I'm pretty discouraged with Norcold, Dometic, they just don't hold up, and we've had troubles before with both brands.  I think for now we'll just leave it--although when it cools off I'll try some of the suggestions above--I think we'll go with some good coolers for our fall trip and replace it with a solid compressor fridge, Lion batt, and panels next year.  I'm just not psyched on dumping a bunch of money into reliably unreliable gear.  Ugh.  Thanks for your input!
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 6:30am
Curious as to whether your fridge is cold when running on 120 shore power.   If it is than it shouldn't be that difficult to fix you issues when on propane.  The red flag goes up when you say you don't smell any propane, which tells me that your regulator and/or hose is compromised by the black goo and need to be replaced. 

Concerning the ignitor on your furnace:  There is a specific distance the 2 probes need to be apart to work correctly.  I had no idea when we brought ours in for service what the problem was but was told that was the issue.  I would think it would be the same measurement as for the fridge but wouldn't stake my life on it.  Getting to the ignitor on the furnace is not an easy task either.  Paid $$$ for the tech to do it, he had to remove the whole furnace to get to the ignitor, and that was after removing the mattress and luan above it.
God's pod
'11 model 177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>