R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2020 190 Bent Lippert Axle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2020 190 Bent Lippert Axle
    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 11:13am
Hi all!

I got my first TT (190) last May before the heavy Covid hit.  Since then have been on 5 trips including Yellowstone and various lakes around Washington.  After years of tenting it's finally time to have some luxury during my fishing trips.

Searching the forums it appears to be a common issue with the bent axle and given that the carrying load is only 289 pounds, I may have exceeded it but I am not sure.

I have asked the dealership where I bought it to put in a warranty claim but an not holding my breath as my warranty is two months past the one year mark.

Both tires are 1" out of plumb...

A string line pulled tight across the axle shows only a 1/16" gap in the center...

My question is what is the best option of the solutions found here in the forum if there is no warranty help?

1. Find someone to re-bend the existing and add a support like StephanH's support?
  • I assume an alignment shop would do this and I can fab up the support myself.
  1. Buy a new one of the same and add the support?
  • This way I can re-use my wheel, brakes and tires.
  1. Buy a new heavier Dexter 5000lbs.
  • I assume I would also have to get new wheels and tires?
  • Comes with peace of mind that I can carry fresh water in my tank for dry camping in the boonies without bending an axle.
Am I missing anything as far as issues?  Is it best to stick with a torsion axle?

Keith

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 3:07pm
Your first option would be the least expensive assuming the axle tube is what's bent and not the spindles, the trailer shop should be able to tell you. But I would recommend my version of reinforcement as it requires no welding, just a slightly bent steel angle and 4 ubolts.

I would skip your option 2. If your axle is not fixable then I'd go with your option 3 or the equivalent Lippert version. The tire and wheel upgrade is a good thing, the OEM tires and wheels on mine didn't have any more capacity than the axle, and you are only as good as your weakest link.

A leaf spring axle has advantages but to my knowledge no one has yet done that mod so you would be on your own for the engineering.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 3:36pm
You might want to check into your warranty information because if my memory serves me correctly the warranty on the Lippert axel is 2 years and your dealer should assist you in making a claim.  Good luck.
Jay

179/2019
kcisland View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by offgrid

Your first option would be the least expensive assuming the axle tube is what's bent and not the spindles, the trailer shop should be able to tell you. But I would recommend my version of reinforcement as it requires no welding, just a slightly bent steel angle and 4 ubolts.

I would skip your option 2. If your axle is not fixable then I'd go with your option 3 or the equivalent Lippert version. The tire and wheel upgrade is a good thing, the OEM tires and wheels on mine didn't have any more capacity than the axle, and you are only as good as your weakest link.

A leaf spring axle has advantages but to my knowledge no one has yet done that mod so you would be on your own for the engineering.

Thanks for your insight sir, much appreciated!
kcisland View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by kcisland

Originally posted by offgrid

Thanks for your insight sir, much appreciated!

I will definitely check my paperwork.  During a phone discussion with the dealer on where to send my photo documentation they mentioned the 1 year.
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 6:25pm
You might want to check out this link" https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws.com/forms/oem_axle_and_running_gear_standard_warranty_effective_1_1_2017_final.pdf "Which I believe gives the Lippert limited warranty (I have not given this a full study) on its axles and parts to the axle.  Your dealer should be very involved with representing you in this claim.  Hope this helps.
Jay

179/2019
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 11:06pm
A 1/16" bow *up* in the middle could easily be inside manufacturing tolerances. Plus, a bow up in the middle would camber the tires out at the top, not in. A 1" positive camber on a 26" O.D. tire calculates a reasonable 2.2 deg pos camber. Are you sure something is bent? If so, it's not the center beam.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
kcisland View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by Colt

A 1/16" bow *up* in the middle could easily be inside manufacturing tolerances. Plus, a bow up in the middle would camber the tires out at the top, not in. A 1" positive camber on a 26" O.D. tire calculates a reasonable 2.2 deg pos camber. Are you sure something is bent? If so, it's not the center beam.

Hmmm...I am definitely in negative camber per my pic so something is bent - 1" on the passenger 3/4" on the drivers. I thought the axle was supposed to be more 1/4" to 3/8" upward camber?

At any rate the dealer has contacted Lippert, sent me a request for more information (toe in/ toe out dimensions), and more photos.

I will be sending these in tomorrow. We will see...

Keith
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Colt

The axles are shipped with a crown of around 3/16 inch at the center. They definitely flatten out when bent. That is because the loads at the cantilevered ends where the wheels are places an equal load on the axle along it's full length between the frame attachment points.

L0ots of discussion and analysis of this issue on this forum and elsewhere. Read the multiple threads on this topic from a couple years ago by myself and others.

Of course, it could Also be that the spindles are bent. A good trailer shopp will be able to evaluate.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
kcisland View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 8:03pm

Good news!

My Dealer initiated the warranty claim with Lippert and it is being covered! 

As I am 240 miles away from where I bought it would have been a pain for me to drive it over just for photo documentation, so I took photos of everything they wanted including Toe In/Tow Out dimensions and sent the finals over on 6/23.  Today 6/29 I received a call that the axle will be covered and a new one will be sent out.  Thumbs Up

As an afterthought I sent an email to the dealership asking if they would transfer the warranty coverage over to a Forest River dealer local to me to avoid me driving for 4 hours.  Not sure how the labor is covered in a warranty claim – if Lippert reimburses the dealer or they absorb it.  We will see how they answer.

I will definitely be doing the support mod once the new axle is installed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>