Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPennyrile State Forest First Trip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pennyrile State Forest First Trip
    Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 7:10pm
After reading of everyone's adventures I decided it was time. Julie and I broke down and named our trailer Goofy after the Disney cartoons Mickey's Trailer. This weekend was his first trip and we were more than ready after having him for three weeks. I wanted everything to be perfect so went out to the Pennyrile State Forest campground here in KY while wife was still at work to get things set up for the weekend. Site was unleveled. Got the side to side level set up and unhooked from truck. When I went to do front to back level Goofy decided to just roll over his chock and start rolling down towards the woods. Grabbing hold I managed to get him stopped and the folks at the next site who were having their own wonderful time leveling their unit came running to help save the day. After many bad words and fussing finally got him leveled with the aid of a railroad cross tie. Yes the site was that bad. Drove back to town to get lots of band aids on hand and pick up wife who wonders why she lets me out unsupervised. Got back to the campsite after dark and had a wonderful night’s sleep. Spent Saturday getting everything arranged and working out the bugs and making lists of additional items to purchase. Spent part of the day looking at all the other sites determining which were better and which were worse than ours. It was amazing to see the lengths some people had to go to leveling their units. I have to admit that this trip was an experience that I will remember for a long time to come. Goofy was a perfect gentleman after his little runaway escapade. We will be heading out again next week, stay tuned for more adventures. Star
Greg Bridgeman
Honesty is telling the truth
Integrity is telling the thruth when it hurts
peachpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 8:03pm
OMG, I'm glad everything turned out okay!  I would have stroked out if our camper had taken off like that.  You must be as strong as an ox!! Thumbs Up  I hope your next trip isn't quite as "exciting".
Beth and Joe
2011 Prime Time Tracer 195M
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Mamajoma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 9:36pm

Bridge,

I'm glad things turned out as good as they did for you.  Being a woman and usually setting up by myself, I leave my tow chains attached until I am sure things are going to stay put.  I recommend a BAL Light Trailer Tire Leveler (google it, I bought mine on sale at PPL).  I love mine.  It  levels and chocks at the same time with little effort.
mamajomba
Bridge707 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 9:45pm
I had looked at one before the trip and thought nahhh I don't need that. I will be at camping world before the weekend is over to get one Embarrassed
Greg Bridgeman
Hawkeyes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 5:44am
We bought our Hawkpod and had to put it directly into storage.  Cry  We did spend last Saturday at Saylorville Lake (Iowa) scouting out which campground we want to use how to make reservations in advance etc. 
I find this website very helpful and now I am a little worried about leveling.  We have never camped before.  I think this leveling device sounds wonderful.  I guess I need to add this to our long shopping list along with a level! 
Any other helpful comments on this topic for a "newby"?
Hawkpod
2013 Surveyor Sport 189
2017 Chevy Silverado
Bridge707 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 7:10am
This was our first trip with the pod and the first with a camper in 13 years so I would simply suggest that you take it slow and not rush your set up. Dont be afraid to ask the other campers around you for advise. Most of all don't worry, we go camping so that we don't have to worry or be stressed. Big smile
Greg Bridgeman
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 12:27am
Originally posted by Mamajoma

Bridge,

I'm glad things turned out as good as they did for you.  Being a woman and usually setting up by myself, I leave my tow chains attached until I am sure things are going to stay put.  I recommend a BAL Light Trailer Tire Leveler (google it, I bought mine on sale at PPL).  I love mine.  It  levels and chocks at the same time with little effort.

Caution with the BAL, twice I've had to use the (18 wheeler scissor jack) I carry for just in case.  Once it rained so hard the BAL sink into the ground and use the Jack to lift the pod to get it out.  Second I was on hill it seems somehow the wheel would not clear the bal without Jacking up the pod and pulling the bal out.  For the second senerio  i should have put a lynx block down to keep the wheel higher (Hindsight).  Moral be sure you have a jack or two around.

Most of the time I have not problem and it works Great.

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply