R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

solar panels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: solar panels
    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 6:40am
Fuses and circuit breakers are there (whether in your house or trailer or anywhere else) to prevent accidental short circuits from causing fires by overheating the wiring.

Batteries produce hundred of amps when shorted. So if you connect your solar charge controller output directly to your battery and then get a short you can easily cause a fire by overheating those wires.

It is exactly the same as if you bypassed the breakers in your home panel board and ran a circuit directly to say an outbuilding. Unsafe and a violation of the electric Code. And yes the Code applies to RVs too. Pleas don't do it.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
kansasfrogs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote kansasfrogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 7:43am
Thank you everyone!  I will get the fuse and don't plan on using the port.  I hooked it up and all seems to be doing o.k.

FROGGY
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 11:14am
Something like this from Deltran BatteryTender would be handy for many things battery related. I use one and have a lighter plug adapter so I can use my 12V air compressor.

John
'16 R-Pod 180
texastreehugger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote texastreehugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 8:29pm
New Rpod owner here. Our used pod came with a 1000w Jackery power station and 2 solar panels and I'm trying to figure out the best way to use it. We will be making a trip in a few months to a park with no hookups just dump and water fill. I looked for converters from the 8mm plugs to connect to the rv solar port, but then I thought about using the Jackery and my trickle charger to either charge the battery directly or via the port. (And recharging the Jackery with solar). I did notice the polarity was reversed on the port and searched polarity and found this thread. Based on some of the advice here, it look like i should just go straight to the battery. Any thoughts on this set up?
I do understand that the solar may not keep up if we use a lot of the electric. Hoping to run the fridge on propane. I dont have a good read on how long the propane will last. Hopefully it wont get too cold!
2016 Rpod 182g
2022 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4
TEDDY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote TEDDY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 9:17pm
The two prong port on the rear of my 2017 rPod goes straight to the battery - there is no charge controller in that line.  I use two 100 watt solar panels when no shore power is available in a campground.  I run them thru a Renology 30 amp charge controller, connecting the charge controller to the battery directly via aligator clips.  You must use a charge controller if you use solar panels to recharge you rPod battery, or you could damage the battery.
Teddy
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by texastreehugger

I do understand that the solar may not keep up if we use a lot of the electric. Hoping to run the fridge on propane. I dont have a good read on how long the propane will last. Hopefully it wont get too cold!

The fridge will run a long time on propane, the propane hog would be the furnace as you camp in colder weather unless you are at a place that offers electric.  Our last 30 day trip we ran the furnace a lot as night temps were always in the 40's or 50's at night in the Rockies during the month of September.  We did empty one 20# cylinder but when we left it was probably only half full.  This is why we always carry two tanks.  And yes, I woke up at 3:45 am at the Great Sand Dunes N.P. and it was about 41 that night, didn't feel much warmer inside as we were both asleep when the tank ran out. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Ricktoon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ricktoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 10:58pm
Here is my connection process from charge controller to battery. My charge controller is at the top right and wired to a short cable with an SAE male connector on the end. I then mounted an SAE female connector (right side) to the battery box with a fuse holder inline on the positive lead. The female connector allows me to plug in the solar without opening the battery box. It is like the solar ready connectors on many older versions of the RPod, I checked to make sure positive and negative are correct with the wiring all the way through. 
Rick and Ellen B
2019 Chevy Colorado
2021 Rpod 196
TEDDY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote TEDDY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 10:59pm
Used propane for the fridge camping for 9 days at Shenandoah - used the two solar panels and charge controller to recharge the batteries every day - used interior lights sparingly (battery lanterns work well, even for reading.  I also carry a single mantle propane lantern - lots of light and heat.  Even used the water pump as Shenandoah Great Meadows has no sites with water.  Also used propane for heating water a couple of times.  At the end of 9 days I still had about 1/4 of a 20# propane tank left - I only have one tank.  This all works fine if you have sun-light.  If the weather is bad, you may need to charge your battery with the tow vehicle daily - run for an our or so.
Teddy
Ricktoon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ricktoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 11:09pm
Here is a view of the SAE connector on the outside of the battery box. Used silicone to ensure a waterproof connection. Small cover protects the plug when not in use. A metail plate added behind connector hold the charge controller which has magnet attached to the back.

Rick and Ellen B
2019 Chevy Colorado
2021 Rpod 196
texastreehugger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote texastreehugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 9:15pm
Accidentally double posted
2016 Rpod 182g
2022 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>