R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQuality Control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quality Control
    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 9:21am
Originally posted by DH

Thanks so much for the tip on the fridge. But I have decided to let that go. I spent hours trying to get that thing to work including starting it up two days in advance and freezing things before I put them in. Even then basically using it as an expensive cooler it was pathetic. If refrigeration isn’t possible in the heat then I wish they’d just make a cabinet there so I’m not towing the extra weight for no reason. I’m thinking of converting to lithium battery and getting a compressor fridge. I only camp in isolated places with no electro so it would probably benefit me. I just have to study up. I’m a girl and have never been exposed to electrical theory. Thanks again.

Electrons don't care what gender you are.

So don't worry, we will help walk you through the process whatever you decide to do.

That being said, most folks wind up being reasonably satisfied with their absorption fridges once they get them sorted and learn how and how not to use them.

So I agree with Jato, please be sure your existing fridge won't work for you before going down the compressor fridge/lithium battery/lithium charging system route. It is going to be expensive and complex to make all the changes involved.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 9:54am
+1. I went the Dometic CRX-1110E/F route after my RM-8501 died. It was the electronic controls that died and to replace them would mean a replacement refrigerator in any case. That is why I went with the compressor refrigerator. I had already made the switch to LiFePO4 and the other changes needed to make it work (converter change, DC to DC charger and additional TV wiring for it). Check my mods if you want an idea of those changes before you go down that route. It will entail more time and money than just the new refrigerator and battery. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 1:23am
Thanks to everyone for the advice and I will definitely try that trick with the fridge. I also plan to look into those power modifications. I know the lithium is expensive but I’m sort of obsessed with it now. I hate the gas generator and if I can figure out how to switch over for under 2k it seems like I could camp for a week at a time width moderate conveniences like refrigerator, coffee maker and maybe tv. I didn’t mean to imply girls can’t get science. I was just never exposed to it and I have to start out with really basic concepts. Thanks again so much! That fridge trick could save me a bundle
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 8:39am
I also don't like gas for the generator. That is why I bought a dual-fuel generator. It is a Firman generator purchased from Costco. Although it does not generate quite as much power on propane as it would on gasoline, it is adequate for running the AC, convection-microwave, or other appliances. Perhaps not simultaneously, but it will run them. It also will recharge the battery through the converter which means faster charging than with some of the other alternatives.

This is an upgraded version of what I bought. It is heavier than a 2000 watt generator, but the additional capability is worth it if you have the means to lift it (e.g. hoist, ramp, etc) to where you need to carry it.

This is the model I purchased. I think it was discontinued in favor of the 3300 Watt model:
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 10:52am
You can get a dual 12vdc/120vac TV, they're not expensive, mount to the existing tv mount, and don't consume much energy. That way you will save having to run a generator just to watch TV. Ditto with the coffee maker, you can just get a single cup filter, heat your water on the stove, and pour it through. Or do what I do, get empty tea bags full them with the coffee of your choice.

You will need to run a generator for the microwave and/or air conditioner if you want those, whether you have a lithium battery pack or not. Those use too much energy to be practical to run on batteries and solar. (You could run a microwave for a short time if you get a big inverter but for most folks it's not practical).

I suggest you start your electrical "education" by getting and learning to use multimeter. It is a basic tool you will need to do any electrical work or measurements in your trailer. If you get one like say this which has DC current measurement capability you will be able to measure both volts and amps in your 12V system. Multiply the two together and you get watts.

meter
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 11:27am
Most of the dual power TVs are of mediocre picture quality. I'd recommend a good LG or Samsung AC TV and a small inverter (50W minimum).
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 9:05am
I think one thing people need to realize about the refrigerator is, you are not at home. I just camped in 100 + degree temps for a week. I had full sun on the wall where the fridge is. I keep thermometers in the fridge and freezer, with a wireless receiver outside the fridge. My wife likes to open the fridge, then think about what she might want to get out. You need to know what you want, get it, and close the door. My fridge was getting up to 47 - 48 degrees every day. Once I realized what was happening, I explained it, and from there on, we were running under 37. You also can't keep opening and closing it, you're camping, you need to do things differently. I also don't keep cold drinks in the fridge, that's a big problem too. Buy a quality cooler, and an ice maker or two, provided you have electricity.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 10:05am
Originally posted by TheBum

Most of the dual power TVs are of mediocre picture quality. I'd recommend a good LG or Samsung AC TV and a small inverter (50W minimum).

My dual voltage TV picture is just as good (or bad) as that of whatever TV it was that I removed that FR originally put the rpod.

But then I'm not a picture quality conniseur either, especially not camping. I bought Wally World Hisense TV's for home and think they're just fine.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
RoverPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by TheBum

The 12v television that was installed at the factory in my 180 has great picture quality.
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 8:35pm
Mine started out good in our 2016 RP179, but over the years, it has developed a bad pixel. It is in the middle of the bottom third of the screen. It isn't bad enough to make me want to switch televisions though. We just don't watch enough to make that workthwhile.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>