R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQuality Control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quality Control
    Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 9:31pm
I have a 2018 180 and have used it half a dozen times. It is my first trailer so my expectations may be unreasonable but the general quality of my Rpod is disappointing. I’ve had to replace and tighten screws that were never properly installed, replaced an AC shroud that was cracked and blew off, and removed the carbon monoxide detector that malfunctioned. There are marks on all of the paper wall coverings and glue stains on the ceiling. The exterior rubber trim had to be replaced and most of the LED lights are installed crooked. And that doesn’t even address the useless refrigerator and shower head. I suspect the manufacturer doesn’t care about return customers. It’s a cool concept but I don’t want to make trailer repair my part time job. I wonder if the Airstream is a better value.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 9:43pm
Some of the same equipment is used in Airstreams. You will pay a whole lot more for an Airstream and may find that you have some of the same problems. Fit and finish would likely be better, but considering that these are rolling earthquakes, it is surprising that more things don't work loose.

Cracked shroud - Can't address because I don't know if you purchased new or used and how it was treated if used. The AC shroud on mine is original and still there.

CO/LP detector: What was the malfunction? Was it indicating end of life (alternating red and green lights)? If so, what was the manufacture date. I had to replace ours this year on our 2016 (manufactured in 2015) RP179. Stains on ceiling: I will give you that one. I have them also. Marks on wallpaper: Not that many on mine that were not caused by me. Exterior trim? Yes, sunlight and heat will cause that to deteriorate. It is easily replaceable. Order the heavier-duty strip from Amazon. Pay a little more and it will last a lot longer than the cheap stuff used by the factory. LED lights installed crooked? I'm not sure what type of light fixtures you have. Mine seemed to be installed straight.

Hopefully, you got the kinks worked out. Having done so, I hope you have many fun adventures and make many great memories with your RPod. We just finished a 6200 mile trip recently with ours. We have had our share of problems over the years, but I spoke with an Airstream owner who had extensive work done on his, so they have their problems also.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 10:22pm
That was a really nice reply. Most message boards turn to arguing. I love the concept of the Rpod and the layout is good but I feel a little insulted by some of the cheesy stuff. That paper wallpaper is totally impractical and yeah, those cheap little LED puck lights are installed crooked. Some don’t line up in a row and some aren’t flush. I’m not totally dissatisfied but I think for 20k they could have put nicer finishes on. But the refrigerator is the real mystery. Doesn’t work at all. I’ve tried every trick there is and it’s barely cool. I took it in three months after purchasing and they kept it a week and said I can’t expect it to keep food cold when it’s hot outside. I camp when it’s warm outside. They could have left the space open for storage and kept their refrigerator. I had to buy a compressor cooler and use the fridge for storage. Most people assume a refrigerator will keep things cool at least. Maybe they can offer this refrigerator to folks who use their camper in cold weather and I could have paid for an upgrade for one that works in warm weather. I guess maybe this is something intrinsic to trailers. I’m probably naive. After I wrote my post I noticed a cabinet that doesn’t close flush anymore and a piece of wood trim loose in a drawer. Hilarious. I will adjust my expectations with my next trailer. Thanks again!
RoverPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 5:40am
Unfortunately, your expectations are probably too high. rPods are a low cost camper line. What you are seeing is very typical for the RV industry. Even the luxury brands such as Airstream and Lance have issues, but yes, those brands are higher quality, which you pay for. So it's just a matter of what you want to pay for and what you are willing to do yourself.
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 9:28am
Originally posted by DH

That was a really nice reply. Most message boards turn to arguing. I love the concept of the Rpod and the layout is good but I feel a little insulted by some of the cheesy stuff. That paper wallpaper is totally impractical and yeah, those cheap little LED puck lights are installed crooked. Some don’t line up in a row and some aren’t flush. I’m not totally dissatisfied but I think for 20k they could have put nicer finishes on. But the refrigerator is the real mystery. Doesn’t work at all. I’ve tried every trick there is and it’s barely cool. I took it in three months after purchasing and they kept it a week and said I can’t expect it to keep food cold when it’s hot outside. I camp when it’s warm outside. They could have left the space open for storage and kept their refrigerator. I had to buy a compressor cooler and use the fridge for storage. Most people assume a refrigerator will keep things cool at least. Maybe they can offer this refrigerator to folks who use their camper in cold weather and I could have paid for an upgrade for one that works in warm weather. I guess maybe this is something intrinsic to trailers. I’m probably naive. After I wrote my post I noticed a cabinet that doesn’t close flush anymore and a piece of wood trim loose in a drawer. Hilarious. I will adjust my expectations with my next trailer. Thanks again!
I appreciate your reply. I figure that you don't need to be insulted for expressing your frustrations. I've had my share of them with our 2016 RP179. Many of my mods were to address what I felt were shortcomings in the design and construction.

Our refrigerator also caused me problems. It was not reliably cool so I had been carrying a Free Piston Sterling Cooler which is used by the pharmaceutical industry. It was reliable, even in hot weather. I had to make it the primary when we were traveling because I did not trust the RM-8501 to keep perishable items cold enough. 

On our recent trip, the refrigerator died 3 days into a 30 day trip. We purchased an additional Lifetime cooler (think cheap Yeti style) for more room. The refrigerator became additional pantry storage. I ordered a Dometic CRX-1110 compressor refrigerator and after we got home, I installed it. I used it for  a weekend and am pleased with it. You can read about it in my mods (see link in signature). I believe I will be very happy with it as it will be reliably cold and I won't need to carry the FPSC cooler unless I just want to carry more items than will fit in the new refrigerator. That is likely to not be often because there seems to be more usable room in this new refrigerator than in the old one due to a much better layout and shelving arrangement.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 11:01am
+1 to what StephenH is saying. You will find that the components used in almost all RVs will be the same things (refrigerators, air conditioners, axles, frames, sinks, heaters, CO detectors, etc.). So in that regard, they are all pretty much the same. There will be differences in the construction of the chassis and fit and finish. They are truly rolling earthquakes. It's a given that things can get shaken and stirred when traveling.  The good news is that almost everything is pretty easy to fix. There are a number of things that can be improved upon, and that is one of the reasons I subscribe to this list.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 4:16pm
+1 to the replies above. I haven't had a TT for quite a few years now and this forum is great for me to refresh/relearn a lot of what I need to know when our trailer finally arrives this week or next!

I pay it forward for all I am learning by trying to help out where I feel I can contribute and support others in a positive fashion.

I do try to keep my expectations in check as these are very lightly built freedom machines!

Now, i am off to my Goat Yoga class...

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 8:22am
If you add an extra 12v fan to the fridge condenser fins and then remove the interior divider and use it as a fridge only, it will work halfway decent. The fridge section on mine was so tiny that it was practically un-usable anyway. 

I supplement this by toting along a Yeti 35, with a divider...it keeps a few more items cold along with ice for a week or so unless it's just unbearably hot.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
DH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 12:48am
Thanks so much for the tip on the fridge. But I have decided to let that go. I spent hours trying to get that thing to work including starting it up two days in advance and freezing things before I put them in. Even then basically using it as an expensive cooler it was pathetic. If refrigeration isn’t possible in the heat then I wish they’d just make a cabinet there so I’m not towing the extra weight for no reason. I’m thinking of converting to lithium battery and getting a compressor fridge. I only camp in isolated places with no electro so it would probably benefit me. I just have to study up. I’m a girl and have never been exposed to electrical theory. Thanks again.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 3:23pm
Please try one thing on that fridge before you 'let it go.'  On the back side there are a pair of red wires that end at a bi-metal switch which turns on the muffin fan(s) which in turn blow air over the coils which in turn cool the fridge.  This switch is likely located 5 fins to the left of the cooling stack.  I had the same issue as you and told my brother about how ticked off I was as it was only 79 outside yet my fridge (on full cold) was 48 inside, quite pathetic.

He moved that bi-metal switch to about 1.5 - 2" from the heat stack (it has a black chimney on top) and almost immediately I said, "what is that noise?"  He laughed and told me it was the muffin fans turning on.  This was something I never heard run before.  Well within 4 hours we were in the mid 30 degree range - I was satisfied with that.

Since then I have probably moved close to a hundred of those bi-metal switches to this new location, making a lot of podders happy with the results. 

Our original fridge RM 8501 lasted for 10 years, was just replaced last fall with an identical unit and guess what - you guessed it - first thing I did was to move that bi-metal switch to where it should be in the first place.  Last week with an ambient temperature of 94, fridge was facing north so no sun exposure on the unit, fridge was set to 4 squares (out of a total of 5 for coldness), and I also had the top vent removed to get more air movement, the fridge kept a constant 34-36 degrees throughout the day, and I can live with that.  With no A/C we usually don't camp at much warmer temps then that.

Anyway, I would give it a try and see what kind of results you end up with.  Hopefully you will be pleased with the results.  We normally boondock as well and after 3 days my 12v battery (group size 24 deep cycle) was reading 12.48 volts, not too bad for a 10.5 year old battery.  Our other 12v is just over 10 years old as well, they have been very dependable as we use them a lot.  No solar or generator usage either.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>