R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdjustments for Weight Distribution Hitch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adjustments for Weight Distribution Hitch
    Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 2:14pm
I have a 2019 Chevy Colorado with the tow package towing a 2021 R-Pod 196. It has been working well, but wondering if my Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH) needs adjusting. I took some time this week to get everthing weighed at a CAT scale and here is what I found

Total rig weight = 9300 lbs.  4600 for the R-pod, 2140 for truck drive axle and 2560 for the steer axle with trailer unhitched.

With the WDH attached to trailer, the trailer shows 4020 lbs, the truck drive axle is 2920 and the steer axle is 2360.  Without WDH the steer axle is 2280.  That shows me the steer axle is 200 lbs lighter when connected compared to not having a trailer attached. The WDH adds 80 lbs back to the front (2360 compared to 2280) which helps, but should I adjust to have more weight transferred to the steer axle. I could also shift weight back in the R-pod to lower tongue weight, but don't want to cause sway.

Any thoughts on how close the front steer axle weight should be to the non-towing weight would be appreciated. I know this is a lot of numbers, but know there is someone on forum who understands weight distribution better than me.
Thanks
Rick and Ellen B
2019 Chevy Colorado
2021 Rpod 196
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 4:00pm
Since the typical way of setting a WDH is making sure the front wheel well stays roughly the same distance off the ground with WD and unhitched, it would make sense that the weight on the front axle should be roughly the same. 200 pounds isn't horrible (about the weight of one man).

Does the front end feel like it's tracking solidly through turns, especially on soft ground? If not, then by all means move more weight to the front.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 4:35pm
Great job getting your weights. Since the objective of adjusting a wdh is to get the front axle weight back to what it was without the trailer I think you could increase your wdh tension and might prefer the handing, ride, and braking better that way. Up to you.

Since you have most all your numbers already you might want to put them in this calculator along with your dimensions and specs and then adjust the spring bar tension in the calculator to see what the effect is before you do it in the real world.

I don't know what the rating of your wdh is, but one thing to look out for is if you have enough capacity in your wdh to apply the tension required to rebalance the front axle.

calculator
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 8:57pm
A lot depends on the hitch. What one do you have? What does the manufacturer specify in the instructions? I have an Equal-i-zer hitch. This page is helpful, but always refer to your owner's manual or the manufacturer's web site for the latest information on your hitch.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Ricktoon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 11:20pm
I have the Equalizer hitch as well. There instructions always refer to getting the front wheelwell of the truck close to the position it was without a trailer attached. I was interested in getting some actual numbers on trailer weight, tongue weight, and weight shift to the truck with the WDH.  Will find someone here to help make some adjustments since I don't have the heavy duty torque wrench to mess with the hitch. I think I will work to shift a bit more weight forward to the steer axle to overcome the feeling of a light front end.  Thanks for all the replies.

Rick and Ellen B
2019 Chevy Colorado
2021 Rpod 196
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 7:35am
If you do want to DIY your adjustments, you don't really need that big ole torque wrench, as long as you have a standard wrench that will work.

Ft-lbs of torque are just that, lbs of force x distance from the bolt center in feet to where you apply the force. So, you can just use your known weight as the force and stand on your wrench the appropriate distance from the center of the bolt. Of course, you need the bolt to be horizontal so you can stand on the wrench, but you can temporarily rotate the hitch in the receiver so that it is the way you want it.

Say you weigh 200 lbs and you need 250 ft-lbs, you would stand on your wrench 250/200x12=15 inches out. Simple and it works just fine. That's how I do it, just don't slip off the wrench and hurt yourself...
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 8:34am
For the Equal-i-zer hitch, the only ones that require high torque are the hitch ball and shank bolts. All others are under 100 ft-lb. For that, a Harbor Freight torque wrench will work. You also should have one for the lug nuts anyway.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply