R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrailer hook up melted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer hook up melted
    Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 11:23am
I hooked up the 7 pin connection and heard a electrical type sound. My trailer plug hook up melted and it looks like there is damage inside the receptacle of the truck.

I made sure it wasn’t up side down. This is the first time anything like this has happened. I did everything I normally do.

The lighted in my rear kitchen also don’t work now. Fridge, microwave, hot water tank and other lights still work.

Looks as though our 182G is parked till I get this fixed. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to what I did wrong or what might have happened.

Thanks
2016 R-pod 182g
Dodge Ram 1500
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 12:38pm
Well, it's a dc problem, not an a/c, so all those things should have been unaffected. It might be a grounding issue, probably somewhere on the feed for the light thats out.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 1:15pm
Check your fuses.  That might give you a clue as to where the problem is.  folks here say the 2 40A fuses are to protect from reverse polarity. 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
scuDDer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 2:03pm
Thanks guys. I’ll look into that. What about my battery? I have four battery cables. 1 large black (negative), 1 large red (positive) and one small red and one small white. I assume those are for the solar. What if I have the small ones hooked up backwards? Would that have kicked the power back and caused this issue ?
2016 R-pod 182g
Dodge Ram 1500
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 4:30pm
Connecting the two small wires backward would not necessarily cause a problem if you did not have anything in the plug on the other end to short it. However, if something was shorting the plug, then it would have been a short circuit. In that case, I don't think it would have affected the round 7-way connector. Something else happened that likely caused a short there. It is a symptom of a short. Lest you think 12V can't do that, it sure can. The amperage of your battery at a dead short can weld metal.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 6:59pm
Could you tell us which picture, vehicle or trailer,  and which connector is burned?  Sorry for the huge picture, but finally got it with outstanding help from furpod.

Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 7:16am
You really can't put a 7 way connector in upside down since it has a slot and raised section that have to mate up to prevent that.

When you have the 7 way disconnected and your 120vac connection disconnected can you clarify what works and what doesn't? That would help in troubleshooting. Of course check all your fuses as well as others suggest.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 7:41am
Did you have your battery disconnected at some point? Is it possible that when you connected it again, that you got the polarity backwards? I think that would be a possible explanation of what happened. Please check the battery connections to make sure they were/are correct. Check the two 40A fuses in the power center. If they are blown, then it is highly likely that the polarity was reversed at some point.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 11:32am
Originally posted by offgrid

You really can't put a 7 way connector in upside down since it has a slot and raised section that have to mate up to prevent that.

When you have the 7 way disconnected and your 120vac connection disconnected can you clarify what works and what doesn't? That would help in troubleshooting. Of course check all your fuses as well as others suggest.

Wanna bet? My wife managed to get it plugged in "sideways" so that the brakes came on every time she turned the lights on.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by TheBum

Originally posted by offgrid

<br fgid="258202">
<br fgid="258208">When you have the 7 way disconnected and your 120vac connection disconnected can you clarify what works and what doesn't? That would help in troubleshooting. Of course check all your fuses as well as others suggest.<br fgid="258233">

<div fgid="258240"><br fgid="258246"><div fgid="258252">Wanna bet? My wife managed to get it plugged in "sideways" so that the brakes came on every time she turned the lights on.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>