Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSkyline Drive & Blue Ridge Parkway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skyline Drive & Blue Ridge Parkway
    Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 1:44pm
Well, I'll have to look those up! Thanx!

Edit: I have all 3 marked out! How cool!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 2:04pm
This Old Dawg is still learning new tricks! The amount of info I can store for offline use would amount to far too many maps, books and still have to work through cord's to determine location. I can even plot an entire trip (which I've done) and download for along the way. 

Years back we traveled with paper and had a backpack full of what we might need... I'm liking this part of New School!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 6:57pm
For sure.

I use gps and mapping apps all the time, starting in the mid 90s for aviation use, where gps was a game changer.

But I still like paper backup for the boondocks. My place for example is improperly georeferenced on most mapping software. It's amazing how many folks these days can't even follow step by step directions, regardless of what you say they still just put in the address and end up one ridge over on the wrong road, and with no cell signal so now they have no idea what to do. I've gotten to where I try not to give the address at all so they have to pay attention to the directions.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colonel Podder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 7:25pm
There are many places on or close to the Parkway that we enjoy;

General area around Floyd, VA.
Chateau Morrisette Winery
Mabry Mill
Natural bridge
Town of Floyd - Bluegrass music on most weekends

Almost endless possibilities to see/do within a reasonable drive from the Parkway- Linville falls, Mt. Mitchell, Biltmore, Original Mast General store, etc.

We will be in the area of Boone, NC all next week exploring as well.

Enjoy!
2021 R-pod 196

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 7:23am
Thank you! I had Linville Falls CG marked out, yet now see where the fans are!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 9:27am
I like to use both downloaded maps and paper maps depending. When you're realtime, driving down the road, it's hard to beat the maps/gps/nav that comes with the electronic form.

However, when we're sitting at a campsite, and looking around/exploring/planning, the paper maps are a lot more fun. Especially when you're planning with your travel partner(s).

As for the Blueridge Parkway. The last time I went there was back in 1976. It was very, very nice. My only regret is that I did not have a lot of time to explore. We did go rafting down the Shenandoah though, and that was a blast.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
tcj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 10:36am
For offgrid and other paper map lovers.  Thanks for the link to the NF maps offgrid.  I just now used it to order a new Naches Ranger District map.  Mine is about 20 years old and getting pretty tattered.

Here's a photo of the map I used for 32 days while working on the Hellroaring fire in the Absaroka Wilderness north of Yellowstone park during the Yellowstone fires in 1988.  I still get it out now and then to study, read the notes I made, and reminisce. You can tell I love paper maps.

2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 9:52pm
hello Oldguysrule
we have a cabin near Bryson City, NC-which is near the southern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway. the actual end is just north of Cherokee.  here are lots of things to see and do near this terminus.   Just at the end of the BRP, you are on the edge of the Great smoky Mountain National Park.The visitor center is about 3 miles away-lots of info and occasionally see herds of elk grazing in the adjacent fields. Cherokee is about 2 miles away and has a great outdoor drama named "Unto these Hills" that tells their story. there are lots of crafts there as well as too many people and junk shops. Bryson City is a small vacation town about 10 miles west with a tourist train that is fun to ride for a half day. It also has a great access to the National Park at Deep Creek, a campground, hiking, picnicing, waterfalls and tubing. Fontana Lake is  a huge TVA lake daming the Nantahala, Tuckaseegee and Little Tennessee rivers. There is whitewater rafting, mountain biking trails, hiking trails and lake activities in the area.  About 45 minutes northwest of Bryson City(near Robbinsville, NC) is Joyce Kilmer National Forest which has the largest trees east of the Mississippi.  Old growth poplars that 5 people can't reach around can be seen with a 45 minte hike in the deep woods.  In that same area is the Cherohala Skyway-another beautiful mountain top drive that terminates in Tennessee.  You are literally driving at the ridges and the views are outstanding.
Feel free to privately email if you are interested in that area-we have been going there there since 1982. there is a huge amount of activities and sites to be enjoyed.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 9:54pm
sorry, I had the wrong name-it should be Olddawgsrule
My apologies
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 7:58am
Ahh... WOW! I chased this a bit and found some .gpx files for the Dual Sport folks! Most of my best routes comes from these folks. This Dragons Tail ride sounds too Cool not to do!

Thank you for this!

Looks like you extended our Skyline discovery drive! 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>