R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInstall an inverter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Install an inverter?
    Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 2:16pm
So, I thought we had an inverter in our pod but we don’t. 😟 so I want to be able to charge phones and tablets in the pod. Should i install an inverter or do some other work around? Constructive advice is most useful. Thank you,
By the way, I appreciate all the answers I have received and seeing people’s mods here in the forum.
Darla
2017 R-Pod 179
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 3:22pm
You do not need an inverter to charge phones. On a 2017.5 I know for sure r-pods started coming with usb plugs to charge phones. Not sure if you have a 2017, or a 2017.5 model. Either way, you can add a 12v plug, not an inverter. An inverter is to make a/c from dc

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 6:06pm
You could add a small inverter for the purposes you mention but as suggested, a 12v outlet and 12v usb chargers may be easier and less expensive.  You can also use them in your tow vehicle.  Based on your other thread, you really shouldn't think about getting an inverter to power the ac outlets.  An inverter that large would be very expensive and pull the battery/batteries down very quickly if you tried to use a hair dryer, coffee maker, microwave, etc.  You might also consider a generator.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 8:48am
Agree. If you want to power more then your TV, you need a generator. A decent 2000 watt inverter, that could power a hair dryer, costs $400 - $800 and could drain the standard battery in 15 minutes.

John
'16 R-Pod 180
Gualalapod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 10:03am
I have a 2015 179.  No 12v plugs it seems.  Wondering if anyone knows if some of the plugs are 12v?  Also, would you install a 12v plug or usb?  We just used our Rpod for the 2nd time with no shore power.  Solar charged battery well.  Our propane had a slight smell (outside) so we used the battery for the refrigerator which lasted fine during the day but by about midnight there was no more battery power for the fridge.  I really would like to be able to charge devices during the day when the solar is strong or at least overnight with 12v.  Any examples of someone adding this inside their pod?
Gualalapod owner
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 10:22am
I would seriously get that smell addressed. Is it just an exhaust smell? Or a propane smell. If it's gas, there is a fire danger. If it's just exhaust it should not smell much at all, unless you sit right in front of the exhaust port. Running the fridge on straight battery is a losing battle. I personally think installing usb ports is good enough for charging stuff, others might disagree. None of the plugs are 12v, they are a/c only, and require shore power, or a genny. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Gualalapod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 11:08am
Thanks for the tips. We are checking on the propane smell. It is only right by the tank on the outside but needs addressing for sure before our next adventure.
Gualalapod owner
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 2:44pm
Remember -= propane is heavier than air and sinks to the ground.  I had a burn patient one time that had an (old time) pickup camper like a lot of us used to have, and they all came with a built in oven.  By the time they got the oven lit, all the propane on the floor lit off and blew the poor person out the back door.  Propane leaks are very dangerous. Don't dally in getting it fixed.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Gualalapod

Thanks for the tips. We are checking on the propane smell. It is only right by the tank on the outside but needs addressing for sure before our next adventure.
Use a mix of water and dish soap. Spray, paint, or drip it on all connections. If it bubbles, there is your leak. We once had an exchange tank where it was leaking where the tank connected to the valve. Someone did not check that tank when it was exchanged and filled.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
2hotchilis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 10:55pm
Thanks. I haven’t seen any USB plugs. I changed one of the 110 outlets to an outlet with USB.
Darla
2017 R-Pod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>