R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrading in ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trading in ?
    Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 8:32am
We are looking to trading in our 2014 178 R-Pod and were set on a 196 R-Pod but came across the 
FR No Boundaries 16.2.  The biggest draw to the NOBO is the ability to add late fall camping with the winter kit.  This brings me to several questions that I was hoping to have a little insight to.  What temps would be relatively safe to camp with the 196?  We are mostly looking at late fall in northern WI, hopefully chasing some chrome.  How much of a difference is there with towing the 196 compared to the 178?  We have a 2021 F150 5.0 with the towing package so the rig should not have any issue, just curious on what the difference might be.  Does anyone have an opinion on the FR NOBO?  Most of our camping would be local but would like the ability to get off road  somewhat, not looing for a 4-wheel adventure just access to some site that might be a little rough.  Would the 196 be good for this type of camping?  We are hoping to spend a good deal of time of grid in the west next year and were pretty set on the 196 but the NOBO did catch our eye.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 8:46am
If you are planning to go off road, then the NoBo would be a better fit for you. Caveat: We have a 2016 RP179, so it is my opinion. The NoBo is built with more clearance underneath. I can't speak for the 196, but consider it suitable for paved and generally smooth unpaved roads, but not for true off-road.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 12:20pm
I doubt any of these trailers are really suitable for off road use. They are too lightly built. That being said, you can take them down rough roads, the important thing besides clearance is to minimize the g forces they are subjected to so roll very very slowly through pot holes and other rough patches. Like walking speed slowly.

The rpods seem to be ok as long as temps dont dip below the high twenties and warm up during the day. Any long duration sub freezing events and you will have issues. Not sure the nobos will be any different really. You would need to insulate and heat the tanks and water lines to handle colder conditions. Many folks just winterize and still camp in cold weather without water using campground facilities.

Your tow vehicle will be fine.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 4:39pm
We encountered over 24 hours of below freezing temp's last April on our way through Wyoming.  Our FR trailer has the so called "Arctic Package" which is basically some fancy aluminum foil placed above the corrugated plastic that encloses the entire bottom of the trailer and a heater duct that blows hot air into the under floor space.  We parked for the night with a low temperature of 11℉ and ran the heater to keep warm.  Everything came through the night just fine, except a couple inches of pex outside the bottom of the trailer where the low point valves are located.  The low point valves are designed such that the water does not remain in the valve.  The pex is pretty flexible and thawed out just fine.  For the outside shower, I had made sure the hose was drained before leaving and packed some insulation between the door and the valve to help hold the heat from inside the trailer.

Since then, I've wrapped all the under trailer piping with foam tape to help it retain the heat from inside the bottom liner and tanks.  I would be comfortable camping in sustained below freezing temps down to about 20 as long as the propane heater had lots of lp to burn.  What the lower limit would really be, I haven't a clue, but late fall and early spring camping are certainly in the cards.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply