R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closeda few issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: a few issues
    Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 12:56pm
2 weeks in our 2021 196 in Colorado.
Everything worked well. I had replaced the hot water propane jet with high altitude part.
Ran everything on battery and solar, occasionally used a generator for our oven.
On way home 3 things broke.
The strap on the black water tank broke. No problem or spillage. I used some strap to hold in place.
The bathroom door came off the suspended rail. I am looking for idea on repair and strengthening it.
And the fire extinguisher also dropped off wall.
I tried to drive carefully and avoid bumps but road bumps catch you by surprise.
Any ideas for repairing these welcome.
Also the wheels have an angle like someone posted about on here. Not sure if that’s a concern.
I did weigh the loaded Rpod and it was 200 lbs under the limit.
cl
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 7:37pm
The blackwater (and gray water) drain supports are a common issue. ,<There are several fixes. You can use the advanced search feature to find them.

Ditto on the door falling off.

Re the wheels, what you are seeing (wheels noticeable tilt in at the top) is called "negative camber". It's not good, usually signifying a bent axle, torsion arm or spindle.

Not sure if you did this or not but
go over the scales and get a weight on just the trailer axle. Load up before doing so and if you have a weight distribution hitch tension that as well. The weight should be less than 4400 lbs. Then, make a warranty claim. If the try to say you overloaded it show them the scale printout.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
chasl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 9:56pm
I can take it to my dealer and show it. And I have the CAT scale paper. I thought it could be  problem. It was straight when I bought it and took it home.
cl
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 8:01am
They might try to tell you the negative camber is normal, and a very slight amount might be. But if it is significant and noticeable not so much. Please let us know the outcome.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 9:38am
Also, go underneath. Take a string at least as long as the axle tube. Have someone hold, or tape the string to the bottom of the axle tube on one side. Then stretch it to the other side. There should be a gap in the center between the axle tube and the string. If it is touching all the way, then the axle tube has flattened out. That is information you can take to the dealer also.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Colonel Podder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 9:14am
Mine is currently in the shop for the axle problem you are describing. I have a very large amount of negative camber. And the axle tube has no crown to it at all. I am 400 pounds below the max axle weight rating with the trailer fully loaded including some water in the tanks as well.

My biggest concern is that they fix the issue with the same type/quality of parts that have already failed and the issue returns. 
2021 R-pod 196
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 10:14am
When you get your trailer back repaired, you can strengthen the axle tube and hopefully prevent another occurrence. See my mods to check out what I did. You can also search, but if you do, use the advanced search so you can search for posts older than 6 months. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 2:02am
The 196 shouldn't have the same axle issues as the 179 and the other narrow body rpods do. Those are caused by the inboard axle to frame mounts which greatly increase stress on the axle tube because of the upward bending force from the wheels over the long distance between the wheels and the axle mounts.

As I understand it, the 196 has the frame and axle attachments much closer to the wheels. So I'd wait and see what the dealer says is bending on those axles. It could be the spindle/torsion arm that is failing not the axle tube. If that's what it is then reinforcing the axle tube won't help, the only solutions would be to get a higher rated and/or alternative brand torsion axle or try to fit a leaf spring axle.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
chasl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 12:38pm
My dealer repaired the issues under warranty, but the axle issue was not identified as needing repair. I will keep an eye on it.

Here's what I saw happen. The wheels were 90 degrees when we left for the trip. On the way, we did hit some bouncy patches on the road, and same returning home after 2 weeks. That's when I could see the tilt of the wheels, both sides. After unloading most of our stuff at home, the wheel tilt is still there, but it does seem slightly better.

Maybe this is a normal issue related to weight. Loaded, the trailer weighed in at 4250 lbs. The max load for the 196 is 4400 lbs. I wonder if the axle changed a bit, but may still be within tolerance? Like I said, I'll keep an eye. The repair man said he crawled under to inspect. You can see the tilt, but it may be something that worsens or not?

thanks for the advices and feedback. For now, we will let it ride I suppose.
cl
Colonel Podder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 2:59pm
I hate to hear that they won't address the issue with the axle. Mine has been in the shop a little over a week now, waiting on a reply from them. Mine is pretty severe, so hopefully I will get a different response. The axle rating is 4400 pounds for the axle, you should be around 3800 lbs when you consider the tongue weight, maybe less for the axle weight. Ours has also gotten worse over time. My sister has a 196 as well and they have only a slight amount of negative camber. But they have fewer miles than we do on ours. My dealer also has a new 196 on the lot, it has no noticeable camber. 
2021 R-pod 196
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>