R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwater pressure reducer/regulator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: water pressure reducer/regulator
    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 3:36pm
Pls correct me if I'm wrong, but a simple spring loaded pressure reducer ONLY reduces water pressure when there is flow (some faucet in the RV is turned on).  I think this is true because these devices have a spring which water flow from the inlet presses on to narrow the outlet orifice, thereby reducing outlet pressure and volume vs. the inlet side.

If there is no water device turned on in the RV, over a short period of time the pressure on both sides of that simple device will become the pressure of the source - which can overpressure the RV fittings.

I'm thinking of a pressure regulator such as the Twinkle Star regulator (with gauge) - but I cannot determine if this regulator will also allow outlet pressure to rise to inlet pressure if there are no RV faucets turned on.

Can anyone help?  The Twinkle Star has a pre-loaded spring (adjustable) to allow you to set desired water pressure - but the device diagram does not tell me if preset outlet pressure is maintained when there is no flow.  
Teddy
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 5:35pm
I think they're all spring loaded valves. If you get one with an outlet pressure gauge let us know if the pressure builds up as you suspect.

I suppose you could just leave the outside shower dripping slightly to keep the pressure from building up without filling your gray tank.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TEDDY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 5:41pm
I think it would take more than a drip from the outside shower to have enough flow to reduce the regulator's outlet pressure - ....... let's see if someone has an idea.....  Watching the gauge from FLOW to No FLOW might be a good indication...................
Teddy
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 7:55am
I can't get at my water pressure regulator now and it is spring operated.  In the pass I have used it and the pressure gauge on the outlet side is adjustable.  When not in constant use the pressure does hold a static pressure.  I will be able to update this post later with the name of the regulator.  Hope this helps.

Got this off Amazon 

AECOJOY Water Pressure Regulator Brass Lead Free, NH Thread for RV, Adjustable Plumbing with Guage

Jay

179/2019
TEDDY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 9:30am
OK _ tested the Twinkle Star (with gauge) this AM.  Our house is on a well, and the blue accumulator/pressure tank is set somewhere just below 50 psi.

I connected the Twinkle Star/hose and turned on the water.  Gauge (which is on the outlet side of the Twinkle Star) rose to 38 psi - so the initial screw adjustment is probably set near 40 psi.

I adjusted the screw so that the outlet gauge registered 25 psi with water flowing.  Then I turned off the water.  The gauge pressure rose to about 30 psi.

Conclusion:  Not a bad regulator.  With no water flow, the outlet pressure does NOT rise to the inlet pressure level.  However, it does rise a bit.  The 5 psi rise I experienced might be different if the adjusting screw was set higher then my 25 psi.

Somewhere in my past I seem to remember that the rPod will do well at 35 psi, but that might have been just on a YouTube discussing air pressure when blowing out the lines to winterize the unit.  At ay rate, I think I'll be pretty safe with 25 psi (flow) setting, knowing that the pressure on the rPod plumbing will rise to maybe 30 psi with no flow.
Teddy
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 2:06am
So, obviously the spring loaded pressure reduction valves don't leak much if at all, or the static pressure would be higher than 30psi. Did you try to see how much leakage it requires to hold the original 25 psi setting?
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 7:06am
You should be ok with the findings you reported.  For the past 9 years I have used a compressor set at 85 psi to blow out my water lines.  When doing so 1 outlet is always left open so pressure on the pex doesn't reach the line pressure.  Takes about 90 seconds to go through all outlets 2x - quick, easy, and no issues with this method.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
TEDDY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 8:25am
No - I didn't attempt to quantify the minimum flow required to maintain the 25 psi set point.  I was just happy that my understanding of how the valve worked was wrong - looking at the Twinkle Star diagram (came in the box) it was not clear to me that pressures would not equalize with zero flow.  Happy to be wrong!

Tks to all for your input.
Teddy
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 9:54am
I don't think you're wrong, I think you raised a good point. If the spring valve leaks the pressure on each side will try to equalize. Right now with a new valve it takes 5psi to keep the valve tightly closed. It would be interesting to see if that gets larger as the valve ages or if some gunk gets in there.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Rpod-Couple View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 9:42pm
My 2021 R-Pod 171 electric water pump pressurizes the plumbing system to 45 psi. I put a small expansion tank and added a pressure gauge and the gauge shows 45psi. The user manual also states keeping externally connected water pressure to 45 psi. My 171 water system is plumbed with PEX tubing like many modern homes so the 45 psi rating seems reasonable to me.
Steve & Elaine
2021 R-pod
2023 VW Atlas Cross Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply