R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Portable RV Waste Holding Tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Portable RV Waste Holding Tank
    Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 3:27pm
After years of camping with my Pod I'm finally considering buying a portable rv waste tank, "blueboy", so I need not worry anymore about staying longer at a campsite without sewer connection. So my question is to my fellow podder's is what brand do you recommend and what size tank??? I'm thinking a Camco Rhino with a 21 gal tank, not to big to strap in the back of the truck but big enough to get by if I know I'm staying longer at a site without sewer. Suggestions?

PS. Moderator feel free to move this post if I didn't place it in a appropriate discussion thread. Smile
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 4:00pm
Hi Dave,

We have a Thetford Smart tote, got it from Camping world a few years back. They have several sizes but we got the 18 gallon one( they also have 27 gal and 35 gal) so it is pretty easy to handle. I put a heavier axel and bigger tires on it. Also put a heavy duty trap so I hook it to my trailer hitch and pull it behind my truck. Pretty handy to have when you dont have sewer hook ups.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
john in idaho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 9:37am
Regardless of which brand you get , it is really really easy to make a big mess.  Quickly.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 11:04am
I have the Thetford 27 gal unit. So far, I will only use it for gray water removal. I never stay anywhere long enough to fill the black tank. I have seen the "big mess" happen to others several times. It seems like the whooosh of liquid coming out, just pops the connection off? Not sure, but it does make a mess. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 11:47am
I did my research and bought a Barker 4-Wheeler 32-gallon tote. In retrospect, I wish I had gone with the 25-gallon model because the 32 is really big and I suspect I could get by dumping 25 gallons at a time, assuming I didn't wait until the last minute.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 1:55pm
Thanks for the great input with all your suggestions. I'm thinking I'd be okay with a 21 or there about tank which shouldn't be to bulky to put in the back of the pickup. I figure if I know I'm going to be in a site for several days such as five days then I can make a dump run with this portable tank after day two and I should be good to go! No pun intended. Tongue

They don't look to difficult to use as long as you follow directions and use latex gloves.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by DavMar

They don't look to difficult to use as long as you follow directions and use latex gloves.

I prefer nitrile gloves.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 3:37pm
One thing to consider is weight. Not  sure how you'd get one of these things into the back of a truck. Water weighs 8 lbs/gallon, assuming that most of  the waste is liquid and the 21 gal tank is 80% full, that would weigh 130+ lbs! Seems to me that these are primarily made for moving them on the ground to a nearby dump station.....just something to consider.
RoverPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoverPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 6:07am
Originally posted by Ben Herman

One thing to consider is weight. Not  sure how you'd get one of these things into the back of a truck. Water weighs 8 lbs/gallon, assuming that most of  the waste is liquid and the 21 gal tank is 80% full, that would weigh 130+ lbs! Seems to me that these are primarily made for moving them on the ground to a nearby dump station.....just something to consider.

Typically, these tanks have an attachment on the handle allowing them to be towed with the hitch ball on your tow vehicle.
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
Leo B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 7:56am
With our 18 gallon tote, we usually will make a waste run after 2-3 days, usually ends up 1/2 tank which allows me to either pull it behind the truck or sometimes I will lift it up and place it in the back of the pick-up. Pretty easy to handle.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>