R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Low Profile Stabilization Jacks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JKAdventures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low Profile Stabilization Jacks
    Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 12:20pm
As we were backing our new RPod 193 into our driveway, which has a slight rise, the rear stabilizer jacks were very slightly scrapping on the drive way.  I will need to measure to get the exact rise/run measurement at some point.  Has anyone found and installed low profile stabilization jacks or another type of jack in the rear to help with departure angle of the trailer?  

My concern is that if a slight rise on my driveway with an empty camper is causing an issue, what will happen with I get out to camp grounds with truck and trailer loaded.  I already have the hitch at the lowest setting so I would not be able to change the angle of the trailer when connected with the exception of adding more weight to the truck itself possibly.  

Thanks in advance! 
2021 RPod 193
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:14pm
Yes, pod's are low. You could replace the stabilizers with " saveajacks" that are removable. You might want to look into lifting it. I believe the 193 weighs about 3600 pounds. Your dealer might say they don't make a lift kit for it, but, the same lift that is used on the lighter pods will work on the 193. It's hard to get a straight answer on this from anyone. I lifted my 195 a year or 2 ago, and everything is fine. Many people on the facebook page have used the same lift kit on 195, 196, 192, and 193. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:37pm
This is another option:

Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
JKAdventures View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JKAdventures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 5:27pm
Thanks for the recommendations, I will explore these further and report back.
2021 RPod 193
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 6:16pm
Is it possible any of these 190 series can be lifted the same way as the older 150 - 170 series by purchasing the 3.5" lift kit and installing it yourself.  I did this 4 years ago on my 177 and with only basic hand tools and a pair of floor jacks the entire job took just under an hour to complete. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
john in idaho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 7:46am
savajack works well
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 7:54am
Originally posted by jato

Is it possible any of these 190 series can be lifted the same way as the older 150 - 170 series by purchasing the 3.5" lift kit and installing it yourself.  

Yes, that can be done. I have it on my 195.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

Is it possible any of these 190 series can be lifted the same way as the older 150 - 170 series by purchasing the 3.5" lift kit and installing it yourself.  

You'd better hope you don't have an axle failure because the 3.5" lift kit is not officially supported for use with 4400 lb axles. I suspect you voided the axle warranty when you installed the risers.

I believe only the 195, 196, 201, and 202 have 4400 lb axles; the lower 190s have 3500 lb axles, for which the risers were designed.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by TheBum

Originally posted by mjlrpod

You'd better hope you don't have an axle failure because the 3.5" lift kit is not officially supported for use with 4400 lb axles. I suspect you voided the axle warranty when you installed the risers.

I believe only the 195, 196, 201, and 202 have 4400 lb axles; the lower 190s have 3500 lb axles, for which the risers were designed.

With no research behind this, which I usually do some, I have to ask...

With the increase in axle support weight, is this ratio that much higher with the units you mention? 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 11:17pm
I think the risers probably dont have much effect on the axles themselves. The axle loads ought to be more or less the same.

What does see more load with the risers is the frame. Consider what happens when your wheels hits say a curb. It is pushed backwards. That creates a moment/torque on the frame trying to push it up at the rear axle attachment and dowm at the front axle attachment. That torque is equal to the force of the wheel hitting the curb times the distance from the frame to the where the wheel is hitting the curb.

Obviously, with a lift kit that torque is greater because the distance is greater (by the height of the lift kit). As a thought experiment, if you had a
10ft lift kit you would probably be able to bend the frame or bust the attachment loosel by hand.

I hlave no idea how strong or not the frame on the bigger rpods is, but we do know that the frame on the 179/180/190 rpods is none too strong.

If I were adding lift kit now, I would make it significantly longer with frame mounting points farther forward and rearward so that the torque on the frame is spread out better.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>