Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedhelp im confused !!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: help im confused !!!!
    Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 9:55am
We looked at about 20 equivalent models (lightweight TT's) online, and in the end only 3 of them had all the specs we wanted.  I believe the Surveyor was one of them, but the 'pod was cheaper, lighter, and we really liked how it looked.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
BIG BEAR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 2:54pm
thanks everyone hard decision,salesman said double axle on the surveyor would make it easier to tow. but again im new to this. bathroom is the only thing on the surveyor we liked better that the pod .bathroom xtra nice, sink mirror separate shower and toilet and has a electric canopy and aluminum wheels. really like the looks of the pod alot better. if we ended up getting the surveyor would we still be welcome here? seems like alot of nice people and also very helpful. we would like to meet as many as we could and camp at the roundups with you guys. not saying we are getting the surveyor, just saying what if. thanks for everyones response
LIFE DOESNT WAIT. ENJOY IT. THE ALIEN CRAFT 2011 SURVEYOR SPORT TOYOTA FJ CRUISER
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by BIG BEAR

thanks everyone hard decision,salesman said double axle on the surveyor would make it easier to tow. but again im new to this. bathroom is the only thing on the surveyor we liked better that the pod .bathroom xtra nice, sink mirror separate shower and toilet and has a electric canopy and aluminum wheels. really like the looks of the pod alot better. if we ended up getting the surveyor would we still be welcome here? seems like alot of nice people and also very helpful. we would like to meet as many as we could and camp at the roundups with you guys. not saying we are getting the surveyor, just saying what if. thanks for everyones response
Well, I can only speak for myself, but.....they haven't thrown me off of here...yet LOL!
I used to own a RP173, but now I don't even own a FR product.  Most here seem to be pretty cool Cool
and enjoy interacting with other campers.  I don't know if you know this but, the Surveyor is extemely similar to the Pod - even made in the same factory, by the same workers as the Pod (they make Pods for a week or two and then they make Surveyors for a week or two.  Had there been a Surveyor dealer near me, I would likely have one now.

Don't get me wrong - the Pods are cool in their own way and they are the RIGHT camper for a lot of folks.  But, they are not the "right" camper for everybody, due to different wants/needs.  Even FR knows this and that's why they produce other lines of campers.

Keep in mind that most here are "pod-heads" and crazy about their campers that they have much invested in....which is entirely understandable. (This is an Rpod forum, afterall) That's OK!  As I have stated many times before, the people are much more important than what they sleep in at night. IMHO 
Bigbit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 7:36pm
I'm in the same situation as David.  I'm a former RP-175 owner, but sold it because the bed was to short for my 6' 1" frame.  But I still hang around here cause the folks are nice.   I now have a 24' Trailmanor Elkmont and am happy. 

TheDogHouse View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 8:59pm
I agree with all the other advice, buy what you really want. The Surveyor surely looks like a nice camper but it also is more expensive. If they had offered the Surveyor to me at the same price as what I gave for the 173T, I'm sure I'd have made a different choice. Is this possibly the case?
Steve and Rosa
11' 173T
09' Silverado Extended Cab
BIG BEAR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 11:30pm
thank you all.i would be paying 250 dollars more for the surveyor, doghouse. with the nicer bathroom the electric awning and the wheels. i dont know seems like a better deal to me. i an disabled with a bad heart and would not be nuch help to ny wife setting up the rpod awning. just one reason we were looking at something else. thanks for everyones replies
LIFE DOESNT WAIT. ENJOY IT. THE ALIEN CRAFT 2011 SURVEYOR SPORT TOYOTA FJ CRUISER
Bigbit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 11:10am
For $250, assuming that you have an appropriate tow vehicle, to me the Surveyor is a lot more trailer for essentially the same money. 
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 1:34pm
I agree with Bigbit. If the Surveyor fits your lifestyle as well or better than the RPod, then for the money, it looks like a good deal. Just be sure your tow vehicle is appropriate for the Surveyor. Many of us have piddled away a lot of bucks because our tow vehicles and trailers don't match up.
BIG BEAR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 2:40pm
tow vehicle is a toyota fj cruier with a 4.0 v6 has a 5000 pound towing capacity i would think we would be fine with this any thoughts. dry weight on surveyor is 2,964 on the r pod 177 is 2,285. will the weight diff make that much difference? about 700lbs.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 2:53pm
[QUOTE=Bigbit] I'm in the same situation as David.  I'm a former RP-175 owner, but sold it because the bed was to short for my 6' 1" frame.  But I still hang around here cause the folks are nice.   I now have a 24' Trailmanor Elkmont and am happy. 

Nice looking rig, Big Bit!  It looks like it has the type of awning I thought could be adapted to the Pod - self storing, in it's own box.  I thought I could fasten it in 2 places on the "flat" roof/rail portion of the 170 series Pod and then make 2 small brackets to fasten it where it would extend beyond the curvature on the front and rear. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>