Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedhelp im confused !!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: help im confused !!!!
    Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 3:13pm
The FJ should be fine for your trailer which looks like a nice unit.

We have a 4 liter V6 in our Tacoma which is much more power than we need for our r171.
R171 2010
Frontier 2009
Site 40 Eastern Rally 2010
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 5:02pm
I now tow with a Tacoma with a 4.0 v/6 and automatic transmission. The drive trains of the FJ and the Tacoma are, I believe, fairly similar. The Tacoma does a good job of pulling my RPod 175 with plenty in reserve. So I don't think towing power would be any problem for you.

The only caveat for towing any travel trailer with the FJ might be its short wheelbase. It would be very prudent to make sure you set yourself up with both a WDH and sway control. A short wheelbase is very good for an able offroader like the FJ, but the shorter the wheelbase, the more prone to sway when towing. My Tacoma has a 6500 lb. tow rating, and you said the FJ is rated at 5000 lbs. I believe the FJ has a little more hp. and torque than the Tacoma. The wheelbase is the only thing I can think of that would cause your lower tow rating ( not knowing your wheel/tire size or rear end ratio). 
popgoesweasel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 6:26pm
Oops!  I had a senior moment!  hah!  We have a 2009 Nissan Frontier with a 4 liter V6!  The engine is more powerful than the V8 I had on a couple of 60's vettes.

I agree that you need to look seriously at some anti-sway control for the CJ and possibly a weight distribution hitch as well.  With the lower weight of the r171 we are only putting anti-sway control on our unit.  We have good weight distribution but have noticed some sway from passing trucks.  

They are passing us not the other way around.  We take that pulling the barn door problem with the r*pods seriously and travel below 60 mph.
R171 2010
Frontier 2009
Site 40 Eastern Rally 2010
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 7:15pm
Wow. For only $250 more the Surveyor is a heck of a buy.

But, it seems to be pretty common to get the dealer knock $2K or so off the price of the pod by various tactics. It was pretty easy in our case, just showed them the sticker from another dealer for an identical model, and asked them to price match. Done.

So I guess I'm saying to just be sure the price of the pod relative to the Surveyor really is $250, and that you're not comparing an inflated pod price to a Surveyor price. That may or may not influence your final decision. Maybe you've already done this. I'm just sayin' ...

Either way, you'll have lots of support here on the forum, I'm sure.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
BIG BEAR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 7:53pm
yes huron i have all ready checked that. and i cant tell you guys how much i appreciate all the advice and help. i am a super moderator on the bully forum. a forum all about pitbulls and i give out alot of training, nutrition and alot of other info. and it takes alot of time to answer newbies questions. so i really really appreciate, everyones help. i def can train dogs so if anyone needs help give me a shout.but im def not mechanically inclined and dont know squat about the campers. you guys and this forum have been a god send to me. thanks so very much, you have helped more than you know. hope to meet all of you at a roundup and say thank you in person. larry
LIFE DOESNT WAIT. ENJOY IT. THE ALIEN CRAFT 2011 SURVEYOR SPORT TOYOTA FJ CRUISER
Bigbit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 7:30am
Originally posted by David

Nice looking rig, Big Bit!  It looks like it has the type of awning I thought could be adapted to the Pod - self storing, in it's own box.  I thought I could fasten it in 2 places on the "flat" roof/rail portion of the 170 series Pod and then make 2 small brackets to fasten it where it would extend beyond the curvature on the front and rear. 
Thanks for the compliment!  The awning is Italian, made by the company Fiamma, and is model F45.  Trailmanor uses them with both their fold-down and upright trailers.  It's dead easy to set up (I certainly don't miss the R-Dome set-up).  If it has a fault, it is probably not as wind-resistant as a more traditional awning.  If the winds are predicted to go over 15 MPH, the awning gets stashed.  The good news is that it's a 2 minute, almost effortless job to do.  

I'm not going to commit that it's adaptable to an R-Pod - that's for others to determine.

BTW, I  think that your Coleman rig is also very sharp!
AvalancheRpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 11:55am
As with any trailer (or boat) one tends to get two-foot-itis. Your new purchase is good for awhile and then you think to yourself, if only this were a bit bigger, or wider or had this extra feature. We've gone from an 8' pop-up, to a 15' trailer to the 18' R-pod and to be quite honest with you I also wonder if we shouldn't have purchased a Surveyor 186 that the dealer had on the lot at the time. In fact, what I'd really like is the Surveyor 291 but that may be too much of a behemoth in the long term.

On our last trip, it was quite chilly and rainy and we didn't use the R-dome. Between the shoes, dog dishes and the dog ( a lab), floor space was pretty much non-existant. I must admit that it was at that point that I really wished we had a larger trailer. Embarrassed
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 2:11pm
Avalanche - the cold, rainy weekends are almost the only time we use our R-dome.  Its nice to put the sides down when the rain is blowing, not as easy to do with our EZ-ups w/o rigging up some tarps.  Plus you can use portable heaters to warm it up some.  A nice way to extend the interior space when we know its going to rain all weekend so don't mind the setup hassle.  Otherwise we prefer our EZ-ups for sun protection and the occasional shower.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 3:07pm
We only use the R-dome in the cold weather!  We take a heater with us and install the rdome and block off under the camper with a tarp we cut up.  I have sat "outside" in 20 degree weather in my long sleve shirt reading or working on my computer.  We use Easy ups during the spring, summer and fall here in PA if we use anything. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123