Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Events and Campouts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closeddogs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: dogs
    Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 11:04am
we have a pitbull we travel with. have seen some private campgrounds, that wont allow them. when we were tent camping. saw where david travels with a shepherd. dont think they are considered a dangerous breed anymore. anyone with info on this would be helpful. or i guess we just need to call ahead and check like we usually do.all ky state campgrounds allow them as long as you keep them leashed like all dogs.
LIFE DOESNT WAIT. ENJOY IT. THE ALIEN CRAFT 2011 SURVEYOR SPORT TOYOTA FJ CRUISER
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 1:20pm
Its best to call ahead and ask.  Here in Ontario, all pit bulls and dogs that look like pitbulls must be leashed and muzzled at all times.  Most parks do not allow pit bulls at all.

The rules for dogs vary from state-to-state and campground to campground throughout the US and Canada.  In addition to breed restrictions, some campgrounds may also restrict the number of dogs or the maximum weight of a dog (usually 50 pounds).  Provincial-run parks in Quebec do not allow dogs at all.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 2:32pm
I have a probable staffordshire bull terrier ("probable" since she was a stray) and at 45 lbs, she looks like a mini pitbull.  I have found that the private campgrounds are the most likely to have breed restrictions.   Most of the state and national parks that I have been too (limited to NC/SC/Va/WVA/KY) just have leash  regulations.   I always check the websites prior to getting my hopes up about a particular campground.  It upsets me greatly to see these restrictions as this dog is very sweet to all people. 
She loves to travel  in the pod and also travels in my kayak and side car.   If only campgrounds  would restrict some of the people that shouldn't own any type of dog, we would be better off. 
The last dog that attacked me (I was walking down my street and it was on lead) was a chocolate lab and I don't want them all euthanized. 
Ok, I will get off my soapbox now.   As you can tell, I don't agree with this policy.  I guess I won't camp in Ontario.
Terri and Craig and Panzer
2009 - 175 RPod
2000 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab Diesel
Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 2:39pm
Ok, ignore that.  I am not sure what I did.
This is panzer.
Terri and Craig and Panzer
2009 - 175 RPod
2000 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab Diesel
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 2:50pm
As was stated its best to call ahead.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
BIG BEAR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 3:05pm
guess your right we always do check. guess the fly fishing trip to canada is out. i know we will be limited somewhat because i will not muzzle my dog.thanks for the responses
LIFE DOESNT WAIT. ENJOY IT. THE ALIEN CRAFT 2011 SURVEYOR SPORT TOYOTA FJ CRUISER
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 3:26pm
I have an American Eskimo dog which some campgrounds have banned.  Actually it is not the campgrounds but the insurance carriers that have the rules.  As with any breed of dog the training of the owners is how the dog reacts.  Mine is always on a leash while outside and is fine if left alone.  I need to warn kids running up not too.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 4:33pm
I'm with you, Brin.  The owners are the problem.  I too have noticed that the private campgrounds seem to be more picky on the subject.  I sent Jellystone of Gatlinburg an email asking if German Shepherds were OK....they didn't even bother to reply.  I posted something on this a while back

I'm afraid it will only get worse.  Unfortunately, Pit Bulls are under a dark cloud right now.  In years past it was Dobermans and Shepherds.  Any breed or mix can be good or bad.  Again, it's the owners.Disapprove
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 5:22pm
I didn't realize how absurd the pit bull restrictions are in Ontario: its actually illegal to bring pit bulls into Ontario - even if you're just visiting.  Here's a link to the Ministry of the Attorney General's site.

There was recently some public outrage as Caesar Milan (the Dog Whisperer) wasn't able to bring Junior along with him for a recent appearance in Toronto.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
BIG BEAR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 8:32pm
my dog tuff is a gentleman althogh he can be very aggeasi.ve to strangers and dogs who try to be doinate. he knows difference between friend or foe.most camp grounds. will not welcome him
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>