Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Events and Campouts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closeddogs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: dogs
    Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 1:31pm
Oh, I'm so sorry!  Didn't see that before I posted. 

Ann
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 5:05pm
Indiana State Parks are very good about pets, so far.  There are no breed restrictions and they can be taken on trails or any place - unless it is posted otherwise (usually public buildings, etc.).

TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 6:39pm
One of the problems with dog owners is the 'so-called leash restrictions'.  I always keep my smaller sized dog on a leash whenever I am out.  I have been to in-numerable parks where every trail is marked: "pets must be on a leash' and consistently there are one or more owners who have taken their dogs off their leashes as soon as they are 'out-of-sight' of the road (or rangers).  My dog has been attacked more than once while on a trail (and on his leash).  He is small enough for me to pick up.  I have had dogs try to bite me while trying to bite my dog.  Luckily the owners usually have run up and grabbed their dog before actual harm has occurred.  The usual excuse is that their dog is so excited on being out in a woods that the dog has been pulling on the leash so hard that the owner finally lets the dog roam free.
The excuse that 'fluffy' is perfectly harmless...doesn't wash!  Especially when the pet weighs more than 50 pounds and is capable of bringing down a deer or even a bear.  A toy poodle wouldn't be able to do too much damage, but a breed like a pit bull can kill.  There was a case here in Minnesota in the last two weeks where a family pit bull which was 'family friendly' was left in a baby's bedroom for just a couple of minutes.  When the mother returned, the child had been killed with one bite.
If large breeds are allowed to accompany owners into parks etc....I feel that the owners should be prosecuted the same way as if the dog owner had attacked or killed the victim with intent to harm.
I wouldn't want other campers to be allowed to carry a gun with the safety off along the same trails I use.

TIDALWAVE
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 4:35pm
I did have a positive experience while camping at a State Park this year.

I noticed a gentelman walk by my campsite a couple of times with his dog (younger pit bull or mix thereof).  Each time the dog would see Dixie and bark, tug at the leash, etc.  Each time the guy would correct the dog.  German Shepherds have this "look" which is confident, aloof, "don't EVEN think about it" look.  Each time, Dixie calmly stood there and gave the other dog the "look" - no aggression, no advancement, just standing her ground (near me), with the "look".

Anyway, the third time by, the gentleman spoke: "I'm using your dog to train mine.  I hope you don't mind" and he said this in a friendly sort of way and seemed sincere.  My reply was: Please feel free...it's a good exercise for my dog , too".

I thought it was pretty cool that the guy cared enough to try to train his companion to be a good citizen and fellow K-9 camper.  Over the course of the weekend, he appeared to be making progress.  If only more would do so......Smile
Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by David

I did have a positive experience while camping at a State Park this year.

I noticed a gentelman walk by my campsite a couple of times with his dog (younger pit bull or mix thereof).  Each time the dog would see Dixie and bark, tug at the leash, etc.  Each time the guy would correct the dog.  German Shepherds have this "look" which is confident, aloof, "don't EVEN think about it" look.  Each time, Dixie calmly stood there and gave the other dog the "look" - no aggression, no advancement, just standing her ground (near me), with the "look".

Anyway, the third time by, the gentleman spoke: "I'm using your dog to train mine.  I hope you don't mind" and he said this in a friendly sort of way and seemed sincere.  My reply was: Please feel free...it's a good exercise for my dog , too".

I thought it was pretty cool that the guy cared enough to try to train his companion to be a good citizen and fellow K-9 camper.  Over the course of the weekend, he appeared to be making progress.  If only more would do so......Smile

I have always said to my own dog and to my pit bull owning clients that our dogs need to behave better than the average golden retriver/lab/jack russell terrier etc.   We need to train as many good bully breed representatives to be out there speaking for their breed. 

Now the last dog to try to bite me this week was a jack russell and the 11 month old pit bull almost knocked me down to kiss me.   Manners need to be taught to one and a muzzle for the other. 

I agree that all campers need to keep all dogs on lead in the campground and on trails unless they are in leash free zones.  Even with that, I will not take my dog to off leash areas with other dogs as I know that she does not like other large dogs getting in her face.   I don't subject her to situations that she may feel threatened and I would hope that others would respect her enough to not allow their dogs to put her in that position.
Terri and Craig and Panzer
2009 - 175 RPod
2000 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab Diesel
BIG BEAR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 12:50am
I TOTALLY AGREE A PIT CAN KILL. AND TUFF DOESNT HAVE A BACK UP BUTTON.THAT IS WHY HE IS NEVER EVER OFF HIS LEASH, HE IS OBEDIENCE TRAINED AND WE TAKE HIM EVERY WHERE. HE WOULD BE QUICK TO DEFEND, BUT HAS NEVER ATTACKED A DOG OR A HUMAN SEEMS THE BAD REPS OF SOME FOLLOW THEM ALL. JUST A SHAME WHEN WE GET OUR CAMPER, MAY NOT BE ABLE TO MAKE SOME OF THE CAMPOUTS WITH YOU FINE PEOPLE . BECAUSE OF THESE RESRICTIONS. BUT THANK YOU ONE AND ALL FOR THE INSIGHT. LARRY
LIFE DOESNT WAIT. ENJOY IT. THE ALIEN CRAFT 2011 SURVEYOR SPORT TOYOTA FJ CRUISER
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 4:58pm

The Journal of Applied Animal Behavior says that dachshunds, Chihuahuas and Jack Russell terriers are the most likely to bite. Another study by researchers at the University of Pennsylvania's Center for the Interaction of Animals and Society puts Labradors and golden retrievers in the high-risk category.

"The real problem is that there is so much conflicting information (about aggressive breeds), that you don't know what to believe," says Donna Popow, senior director of knowledge resources for the Insurance Institute of America, a nonprofit offering insurance education in Malvern, Pa. "Any dog will bite, given the right set of circumstances

Above copied from:

The TRUTH is out - the real problem is those hate filled wiener dogs!
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 5:36pm
One bite from a pit bull will usually do more damage than three or four from a toy poodle!  It's not the frequency of biting but the potential damage from each individual bite.
TIDALWAVE
MissPolly View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 10:36am
Lol very funny...

"The TRUTH is out - the real problem is those hate filled wiener dogs! -- David"

here is another pic of my big baby:
Faux Pod owner, mother to Strike 7 mths old future left handed relief pitcher, and Atlas 3 yr old Neo Mastiff
Flagstaff Micro Lite XLT 18RK
2008 Jeep Wrangler 4door
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 9:19pm
That is a big dog.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>