R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAntenna Preamp Q

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Antenna Preamp Q
    Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 7:58pm
I have a curious situation with my antenna preamp. Most channels come in better with it on, but channel 45 won't and the signal is weak/broken with it off. TV says "no signal" with it on for ch 45.

What could it be? Preamp going bad?
John
'16 R-Pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 10:03pm
Might not be related but some channels changed frequency this year so if you haven't done a rescan in awhile you might want to try that.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Casey179 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:33am
Ive researched this problem and find a lot of people including myself have problems with factory antenna.  alot of people change it to a new one. 
Casey179
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:48am
+1 to what OG mentions. The FCC is continuously auctioning off old frequencies and assigning new frequencies. It's likely that channel 45 (in your example) has been assigned a new less optimal frequency. If it's like the TV stations around here, they may need to get a different transmit antenna or change their power output or some combination.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 9:46am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

+1 to what OG mentions. The FCC is continuously auctioning off old frequencies and assigning new frequencies. It's likely that channel 45 (in your example) has been assigned a new less optimal frequency. If it's like the TV stations around here, they may need to get a different transmit antenna or change their power output or some combination.

LOL. How would rescanning help me receive a station I get with the preamp off but not on?

John
'16 R-Pod 180
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Casey179

Ive researched this problem and find a lot of people including myself have problems with factory antenna.  alot of people change it to a new one. 

Which antenna did you switch to and how did the install go? Can you quantify the improvement? Does it rotate?
John
'16 R-Pod 180
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 10:39am
Is your antenna the kind you can rotate?  On mine I go into the TV set up and it has a signal strength meter and I set it on the channel I am having an issue with and then rotate it to see if I can get better signal strength.  Doesn't make sense that a preamp would work with other channels and not a single channel but that channels antenna could be in a different direction than your other channels.  If the preamp is picking up an extremely weak signal it may not work.  Just a guess.
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 12:57pm
You're right, it doesn't make sense. Thats why I posted the question. As far as I can tell, my antenna doesn't rotate. It is on a pipe that penetrates the roof and has 2 blades extending from a round body. The blades are orientated parallel to the long axis of the trailer. I've always thought it was OEM.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 6:55pm
Ah yes, the old bat-wing antenna. I had that on our 2016 RPod. After replacing it with another of the same type and having that break also, I replaced it with a flying saucer that doesn't have the wings. It is a little larger in diameter and seems to work just as well as the bat-wing antenna if not better. However, the last time I looked, the brand I purchased did not seem to be available (ordered from Amazon). If you do order a replacement, try to get one with the same mount type so you can just re-use the existing mount and not have to change it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply