R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Old Battery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Battery
    Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 2:28pm
As you can read from other posts I am in the hunt for a new battery.  The two I have now are identical Interstate 12v group size 24 deep cycles with the exception of one having a 12/2010 date on the battery and the other 04/2011.  The older one is the one that appears to be near the end of its useful life.

Charged it for 30 hours at 2 amps and let it rest for 4 hours.  The reading at this point was 12.51 volts.  After 8 hours it dropped to 12.29 volts.  One day later it now reads 12.22.

The other battery (4 months newer) was connected to the converter and was charging on our last trip, the last day being charged for just over 3 hours while we traveled home.  One day later I disconnected the ground cable.  It has now been 3 days since getting charged and it currently reads 12.75 volts, so all is good there.

It has been good and given great service.  The only difference between the two was on one of our first trips I decided to utilize the 12v function on the fridge by precooling it before leavinig.   After 6 hours I heard a beeping inside and then realized the battery's energy was depleted - how far down in voltage I do not know as I didn't have a voltmeter at the time.  Other than that they have had the same care and maintenance. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 8:04am
Hey Jato,

That has to be a record for Battery life!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 9:15am
Try giving the old battery a really good equalization charge (top off the water with distilled first), say 15.5 v for several hours. All you can lose is a bad battery!

BTW, normal charging should be started at about C/5 , or 15A for a 75A-Hr battery.

I have a simple, old charger that is a brute and will "equalize" whether you want it or not.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply