R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Wiring schematic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TeamRPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiring schematic
    Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 11:56am
Originally posted by offgrid

You don't really have to get on top to access the spoiler. You can lean a ladder on the back (use some rags to protect the finish.

My summer parks job was a looong time ago, before multiple budget cuts have resulted in inadequate maintenacd staff in so many parks. But we did try to keep everyone safe. When you have branches 100 feet up in a big redwood they can really make quite a mess when they come down.

Ive never had a park employee argue with me when I point out a widowmaker to them. They are well intentioned, just too busy to keep up.

Thanks for the ladder tip. I have a 6' A frame but have been standing on the spare tire in my receiver/hitch so I can lean on her.  Caulking the front side would be tough with my current gig but I will borrow a ladder if needed. With my weight spread out I do feel confident my roof would hold.  Pretty confident lol. 

I may WD40 my grommet to ease removal. My pry efforts were requiring more force than I was comfortable with.  
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 12:17pm
Looking at your original picture.  Was that the way it was caulked from the factory or maybe done by a previous owner?  Looking at mine (white spoiler on a 2011) is was a much cleaner finish job than what you show on yours.

Great idea on your part to remove the whole spoiler and see what you have.  I did the same on mine a few years back, fortunately no surprises.  Got nervous hearing  about all the leak issues coming from less than idea work from the factory.  Found nothing that was defunct, actually was quite pleased with the workmanship observed under said spoiler. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
TeamRPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TeamRPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 12:20pm
I did notice the large globs of caulk in the picture but figured up top there is no reason to skimp on the good stuff that saves our trailers from rotting out.  If I have anything picture worthy I will share. 
Tulefog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tulefog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 12:43pm
The globs of caulk are the way it was delivered. I realize it is a little distracting but it is sealed up and watertight. On the spoiler everything is black including the caulk and not very noticeable.
Have a great weekend everyone.
2021 Rpod 180 2006 Ridgeline

Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 2:12pm
Instead of caulking the spoiler, I would suggest that you use eternabond tape on the front and sides.  Use the "advanced search" feature and there are several posts about eternabond tape and spoilers.  It is much better and easier than caulk
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
TeamRPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TeamRPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 5:50pm
Turns out I could just pull the bulb outward and the grommet stayed in place. 

I ripped the bandaid err spoiler off.  It wasn't sealed fully so it was easy to remove and there was a lot of debris under there. I couldn't remove the wire caps on my faulty light (lucky it was the last of the 3) so just cut the 4 wires and re-spliced - fail - no light. One of the wires metal was awful dark. I got the multimeter out and sure enough I have 12.2 volts so I am going to replace the light.  

It was all dirty as hell and so I power washed everything and probably will cause a few more issues haha. 

Power was fed from the interior on the far right/passenger side edge under the spoiler, to anyone curious where their power feed may be. I didnt need to get up onto the roof and there was enough slack in the electrical to let the spoiler hang off the side. 

Order placed at etrailer and I have a week to check out eternabond. 
Tulefog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tulefog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 7:51pm
Good deal. You found the problem with the light and a better seal than caulk. The seal around my spoiler is going to need replacement in the next year, might try the tape.
2021 Rpod 180 2006 Ridgeline

TeamRPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TeamRPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Tulefog

Good deal. You found the problem with the light and a better seal than caulk. The seal around my spoiler is going to need replacement in the next year, might try the tape.

I am not sure if I will go with the tape just yet - but its a proper solution for sure. I suspect I will have another light go out and the tape may be a bit to wrestle with as it seems like a permanent solution - probably last longer than my pod lol. 

The gap on the front of the spoiler seems reasonable to caulk. The wiring/wire caps will be taped up (electrical) and taped up into the spoiler (I love HVAC foil tape) and the backs of the light (and around the grommet) can be covered over with caulk. That leaves the screw holes and the wiring exit as potential breaches which I will probably just take care of with a little plumbers putty - another fav of mine. 

My bigger question is whether I will fully seal the backside... I presume so but may leave a small water drain point or 2. 

Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 9:38pm
actually, most use the eternabond tape on the forward edge and the 2 short sides, leaving the bottom edge  open for drainage.

I cleaned all of the old caulk off with a plastic scraper and mineral spirits.  cleaned it well with more mineral spirits and a plastic scrubber pad. I then applied a short piece on each side.  Last, put one full length piece across the front edge of the spoiler going from outside edge to outside edge of the 2 side tape strips.  roll over it with a roller for good adherence.
should last forever

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
TeamRPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TeamRPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Pod People

actually, most use the eternabond tape on the forward edge and the 2 short sides, leaving the bottom edge  open for drainage.

I cleaned all of the old caulk off with a plastic scraper and mineral spirits.  cleaned it well with more mineral spirits and a plastic scrubber pad. I then applied a short piece on each side.  Last, put one full length piece across the front edge of the spoiler going from outside edge to outside edge of the 2 side tape strips.  roll over it with a roller for good adherence.
should last forever

Vann

Thanks for the info! I have a week to decide my plan.

Can eternabond be fairly easily removed if I lose another clearance light, or maybe just cut with a razor and eternabond over it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>